• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is kind of scary...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rassler

I would appreciate it if everyone would take a quick look at my stats and tell me how safe, worth while it would be to do some slight OCing (it will be my first time) on stock cooling. Thank you.

I also have a ATI AIW 8500 DV
ATI Tool says it is 250 core and 198 memory.

Attachments

• cpu-z 1.jpg
    cpu-z 1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 295
What are your temperatures? That would be useful to us to know to be able to tell you if it is safe to overclock. If they are near 60°C for your CPU temp or higher, overclocking would probably not be a good idea. Also, from those screenshots, I am concerned about your voltage, 1.85 volts is quite high for an Intel. Intel's can not take as much voltage as AMD's and I rarely go over 1.85-1.875 with my AMD!

First tell us your temps, and maybe set your vcore down to stock.

Im sorry, i dont know how to get my temps.....this system should be stock. So if the voltage is high I dont know why?! What can I do to check the temps?

And the voltage keeps bouncing between 1.84 and 1.824 if that matters.

The system was built by a local guy, thats his business. Like I go and pick out the parts and he builds it, so i guess he could have screwed it up.

And is my BIOS ok?

Well its been two years already. No serious problems yet.

This is from Motherboard Monitor:

Attachments

• motherboard 1.jpg
    motherboard 1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 257
Go into the bios and turn down the voltage to 1.7 that will bring down the heat after that since it sound stable over clock it.

I have only entered my BIOS once, and it seemed like it wouldnt let me make any changes really. Thats why I asked if my BIOS is ok. Either it wont allow for changes, or I just messed up last last, most likely the latter.

So you are saying turn the voltage down to 1.7 and proceed to OC from there?

It's only CPU-Z that's messed up. His core voltage is at 1.5v, right where it should be. It would be long dead if it was at 1.85v anyways.

Ok so if it is just 1.5 volts, that is ok i would assume. So back to my original question, would I be able to see noticible improvements would just some safe OCing. And the Bios problem, its the original, should I keep it that way?

A lot of people are looking at this and I know there is an amazing amount of information and skill you all posses so I would appreciate anything. This is all very new for me so I may be asking the wrong questions, Im not sure where to even start. Any tips, pointers or whatever would be appreciated. Thanks.

You're running an Intel brand board, so there are NO options to o'c your proc in the BIOS. You might be able to try one of the software o'cing programs available, but most results seem to be iffy, and you will not have the option to lock your AGP/PCI ratios.

Your core stepping is B0 which is not a great core as far as high o'cs go. You can check the CPU database on that stepping, I had played with 3 or 4 and they all crapped out at about 133fsb. If you can get ahold of a C1 or D1 stepping, then you could reasonably expect 150fsb or more. I have 2 right now that do 165fsb at default vcore.

Your best shot at o'cing your proc is to pick up a cheap, used i845 board with lots of o'cing options like an Abit BH7 or Asus P4PE. If you have more $$$ to spend, then ditch your whole setup in favor of a good i865 board and P4 "C" proc. Don't forget that you'll probably have to upgrade your memory, too.

The setup you have now is a very solid, stable platform, which should last a long, long time, except that it runs at stock speed.

Thank you lyle.

Well luckilyenough, I will be getting an entire new sysytem in probabley August. I convinsed my dad that the family computer at home (Im at school) is just not cutting it and that he should take mine. He had an old P3 from Gateway. So I get a whole new rig, hopefully down to LCD, speakers and everything! :D Will be AMD A64 system, 1 Gig RAM, all the good stuff. That will be slightly overclocked, not much, has to last me a long time. I just wanted to get a little practice OCing on this comp first and see if I could get anything elso out of it before I gave it to my dad. Im soooo excited about my new system.

Back