• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote Desktop! Please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadHookUp

I had a Linksys DSL/Cable router and upgraded to the Microsoft MN-700 Wireless router and I want to set up Remote Desktop. I know I have everything setup correctly on my PC because I can still connect with my previous router. But I cannot connect with Remote Desktop on my new router. I went into the port forwarding section of my router settings, and I have the following setup...

Inbound Ports 3389-3389
Type TCP
Private IP Address 192.168.2.101
Private Port 3389-3389

Now my Linksys router didnt have a private port setting. So I thought that might be the cause, but I couldnt find anything on the internet to help me.

If I try to TermServ directly into my PC from my network, I can connect to 192.168.2.101. I visited whatismyip.com and made sure its correct. And I tried connecting to myip:3389. Still doesnt want to work :(. Can anyone help me?

google search for ultravnc, its dead easy to set up. The client can access the server through a web browser just as long as it has java.

router-wise, simply forward port 5800 and 5900, job done ;)

ps after server is installed on your machine and running, from any other computer just type in a browser:

http://youripaddress:5800

thats how you connect

VNC isnt the most secure thing though right? Isnt everything passed in the clear, pw in plain text?

I'd iron out the Remote Desktop Issues first man. Works alot better. Dont know the port settings off hand for it, though.

Me and Gustav have been using Ultra VNC a lot the past week, mainly for me teaching him how to use FlaskMPG... lol. It works really well, if you are not looking at top secret files I would trust it. I've never had a problem with it. Something like GoToMyPC would be more secure.

I still cant get past the fact that pw's are passed plain text. On an enclosed LAN thats no big deal, but passing that over the internet!?!? Ya never know ;)

One a side note, vnc is painfully simple, and it does work wonders. Terminal Server sessions can get a lil funky logging in and out.

My top recomendation would be ssh! :D :D :D

SavageBasher said:
Me and Gustav have been using Ultra VNC a lot the past week, mainly for me teaching him how to use FlaskMPG... lol. It works really well, if you are not looking at top secret files I would trust it. I've never had a problem with it. Something like GoToMyPC would be more secure.

i concur. me and savage live a good ways apart (im in chicago, he's in PA) we both have cable and it seems very smooth. ive tried to access it from school but i cant for some reason...im trying to troubleshoot that. other than that its great. in the example savage was talking about, i was confused how FlaskMPG worked, but he connected and showed me right on my own desktop. top notch program to get to your desktop/transfer files (must use the viewer for this, cant do it through the browser from what i know) and as long as the files arent too important its safe

Yeah, the passwords are passed over as plain text, but hey, if any hackers get it, they only get mouse movement over the computer, and besides, I would only run VNC on my main computer while I was at it. That way if something goes wrong, disconnect the cat5, and close vnc. All done. :D

speaking of taking over the mouse movements..fun trick to play on friends is install vnc and connect to their computers w/out telling them...oh my the fun. Definately an ab killer from laughin so hard :D

ok - to get back to the post at hand - RDP, not a thread jack about *vnc . Maybe he/she doesn't want to use a *vnc

Here is a suggestion regarding your situation. Your Linksys works fine with RDP, but you are having issues w/your new wireless router and RDP. It looks like from what you posted is correct for the configuration. I suggest using the Linksys as your main router and configure your wireless router as a 'wap'
> disconnect the wireless router from your wired network and replace it with your linksys router
> connect a wired pc to your wireless router and go to the admin webpage for the router (check your manual)
> change the lan ip of the wirless router to 192.161.1.2 (as your linksys router is 192.161.1.1)
> turn of the dhcp function of the wireless router
> save / exit
> connect the wired router to the wireless router via a regular switch port with a cat5 patch cable.
> now your RDP should work to the pc you have the ports forwarded to, as well as your wireless clients should work as well.

just a thought

Back