• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you have a loud rig? Read this!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Macadonious

Most of us OC'ers have many fans, and they hum away as they cool our rigs. There are two solutions: one is to buy a fan controller and another is to buy sound absorption pads. The pads are the cheapest, depending on where you get them. This is my rig, and I have laid out how I have done my set up.

Step 1: Buying the sound absorption pads.
Package.jpg

Step 2: Find a place that you know sound will be a problem and stick pad there. NOTE: be sure not to cover air holes or screw holes in doing this.
AFTER
afterS.jpg

As you go through your machine, try to find places that are bare metal and are not interfering with anything vital. Here are the rest of the places I put the mat down.

door_panel.jpg

top.jpg

Inside_patch.jpg

As you can see, I have placed the mat all around the machine. Just a little bit goes a long way. I used spare strips to get smaller places. The more you use, the more it will deaden the sound. As of right now, I just barely hear the six fans running

Last edited:
i wanna see too.
i was able to see one picture by refering to the source, ur host seems to not allow non remote access to pictures i believe..
try www.photobucket.com

anyways, quick question. I have sound padding as well, tried my bested to put it all over the place, but the problem is, i have a window, like you. Most of the sound goes through that as well as the 80mm fan hole. what would u recommened?

sound fan dampener thingies, they are this rubbery condom type thing that go around the border of the fan and prevent vibration which causes extra noise.

wfarid said:
sound fan dampener thingies, they are this rubbery condom type thing that go around the border of the fan and prevent vibration which causes extra noise.
Nope, that is not what i am using

It was working just a momnet ago. I do not know why it is not working now. Must be this site

I can see one, the second one ;)
Question. Does sound dampening increase your temps in anyway? I always imagined it would because it would be insulating some heat in there.

EDIT: Oh, no, thats pics gone now too :D

wher'd you get them?
sounds ike a good idea. My rig is really noisy, usally i dont mind though b/c it keeps my system cool

my dreem some day is to have a completly silent computer with a fridge included. Lol can see it now, "hay mat, you want a soda' as I open up the door to my case and pull one out!

Fire58Mech said:
wher'd you get them?
sounds ike a good idea. My rig is really noisy, usally i dont mind though b/c it keeps my system cool

my dreem some day is to have a completly silent computer with a fridge included. Lol can see it now, "hay mat, you want a soda' as I open up the door to my case and pull one out!

I got them at a auto-performance place that deals with sound systems. You might be able to get it from HI-FI Buys or some place where they insatll speakers

fac_29 said:
I can see one, the second one ;)
Question. Does sound dampening increase your temps in anyway? I always imagined it would because it would be insulating some heat in there.

EDIT: Oh, no, thats pics gone now too :D

So far I my CPU has been running at 30C and the memory at 19C. So it has not gotten hot at all. I have had this running for several hours now and played Unreal Tournament 2004 and still not over heating

sorry this is off topic but i was just reading Macadonious's profile and i saw this
Vantec Nexus Fan & Light 3 channel fan controller w/ 2 LED blue catheters
i am asuming he meant cathodes
i'm sorry i just had to point that out

Magick_Man

magick_man said:
sorry this is off topic but i was just reading Macadonious's profile and i saw this

quote:
Vantec Nexus Fan & Light 3 channel fan controller w/ 2 LED blue catheters

i am asuming he meant cathodes
i'm sorry i just had to point that out

Magick_Man
LMFAO!!! :D

Macadonious said:

So far I my CPU has been running at 30C and the memory at 19C. So it has not gotten hot at all. I have had this running for several hours now and played Unreal Tournament 2004 and still not over heating
Man those are great temps! Havent you seen a rise since the sound dampening though? Not that it matters, with temps like those you definitely have no need to worry about a rise by a degree or two.

Btw, how much did the kit come too altogether? Price wise. I may have to pick some up myself.

Back