• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Power & Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rassler

Probably a stupid question, but is the 425 Delux just as high quality as the 510 Delux? I hear such good reviews about the 510 here but it seems like a bit of overkill. The 425 should be able to handle just about anything I throw at it right? Especially since it is such a good company.

Any opinions or experience with this? I only got 510 info with the search I did.

I think everyone here goes with the 510 since you are already spending so much for such a nice PS you might as well get the best one out there. The 510 may seem like overkill but I really dont think you can ever get too good of a PS. If money isnt an issue I would go for the 510 if I were you.

I dont know.....thats a $70 jump. I think I will stick with the 425 if the quality is just as good.

It is my understanding that the build quality of the unit, as well as the performance, is identical to the 510 (except for less wattage, obviously). It's also supposedly quieter, which is nice.

Be sure to compare the units you're considering carefully; PCP&P gives good detailed information on all their units and not all are built equal. Different models (most notable quiet vs turbo) may carry different line regulation and fan specs.

These are the two I am talking about, they are the same make except for watts right?

The two "Turbo-Cool Delux" models

Yes, they are equal for the most part, except for what they offer on each line... The 510 offers considerably more on the +12V

It will be noisy though, for a PSU.

They are not the same in every little thing. I'm not considering the obvious output and fan differences below.

First thing is the PFC on the 510 model, which is absent on the 425. This is not a huge deal, but may be worthwile if you're concerned about the environment/power expenditure.
Second is the line regulation on the - lines; it's better on the 425 (3 vs 5%). Again, not a big deal, but it may represent slight build differences.
The hold time is longer on the 425 too, above comment applies.

So all in all they are not the exact same thing, but both are still very comparable and solid units.

The new Turbo Cool models use a thermally controlled fan, so they're not noisy like the older ones were.

I have the 510 deluxe here and I used to have the vanilla 510. Best power supplies I've ever had the privilege of using, by great distances. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the insight everyone. I believe I will be getting the 425 Turbo-Cool Delux. It seems like it will be a good reliable PSU, last me a looooong time! :D

Good call on the Deluxe model. The wires are loomed, the case is a flat black and it has externally accessible trimpots for voltage adjustment. EXCELLENT power supplies.

And what do I use a trimpot for?

I feel like I have 10397473627 questions left untill I have a HALF WAY decent understanding of a computer as a whole!

They are for adjusting voltage on the various rails 12+ ect. Well thats a good reason to be here. These are just about the most helpful forums around.

I have to concur with everone else, you cant beat PC&C when it comes to PSU's just ordered the 510 myself, probably overkill when combined with my APC Line-R.

Back