• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermal compound ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stratcatprowlin

Today I installed an Iceburg vga cooler on my video card.

It came with thermal compound and it was very thick and sticky compared to thermal grease.

Well,I applied the thermal compound and fastened the cooler with the 2 plastic push pins into the holes in the video card.

Now I have a blue orb generic thing that doesnt have any mounting holes and I want to put it on another video card.

My question is,
Will the thermal compund hold this on the video card without adding a lil super glue in the corners of the Gpu?

Well is the "thermal compound" Adhesive or is it just thermal compond. If its not adhesive then, no it will not hold. Get ya some AS Adhesive and mix it with a littl AS5 or AS3, and youll be good to go.

It says on the tube"heatsink compound".But its real thick and sticky! I'm afraid to mount it and have it fall off while im away from my computer!

Anyways,
Whats the difference between thermal compound and thermal grease? just the consistancy or is there another reason?

stratcatprowlin said:
Will the thermal compund hold this on the video card without adding a lil super glue in the corners of the Gpu?

No, you will need a little super glue in at least 2 corners. Here's how I'd do it. Thinly spread the thermal compound. Clear the corners of the compound, if necessary. Remember the thermal compound will spread a little. Apply the superglue to the 4 corners with a toothpic.

The thermal grease is a thermal compound, just a cheap one.

There isn't any difference... what it is called depends on who's product you are using. There is no standardization except that there are basically greases and compounds, and then there are adhesives and epoxies. Greases and compounds are just thermal interface materials and easily removable... adhesives and epoxies can make very strong bonds. Thats generally how it works I guess.

Is this the generic gunk that came with the heatsink that you are talking about? I don't think that is adhesive, but there is an easy way to test - put it on an old card, let it sit a while, turn it upside down. I would think you would be able to tell though without doing that.

I think super glue is a bad idea, you should buy some quality adhesive if you want good results. If you aren't worried much about the old hardware, then go for it with the superglue.

IMOG said:
There isn't any difference... what it is called depends on who's product you are using. There is no standardization except that there are basically greases and compounds, and then there are adhesives and epoxies. Greases and compounds are just thermal interface materials and easily removable... adhesives and epoxies can make very strong bonds. Thats generally how it works I guess.

Is this the generic gunk that came with the heatsink that you are talking about? I don't think that is adhesive, but there is an easy way to test - put it on an old card, let it sit a while, turn it upside down. I would think you would be able to tell though without doing that.

I think super glue is a bad idea, you should buy some quality adhesive if you want good results. If you aren't worried much about the old hardware, then go for it with the superglue.
Ok I understand now. Yes it is the generic gunk that came with the heatsink.

Maybe I better buy some quality adhesive.

TX everyone.

Back