• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandpaper Size for Lapping a HS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Time

Which way would be best to cut 9" x 11" piece of sandpaper for lapping a HS? Thanks for your advise.

A = 1 piece (no cut) 9" x 11"
B = 2 pieces 5 1/2" x 9"
C = 3 pieces 3 2/3" x 9"
D = 4 pieces 4 1/2" x 5 1/2"

depends on the size of the HS you want to lap i guess, if i understand your question, you want to know how large of a piece you need for lapping, id say 40*40 CM is enough.. but thats me :)

40 x 40cm is a piece of sandpaper over 15 inches x 15 inches square.

My HS is the SLK-900. I could use a full sheet of sandpaper I suppose. I just thought cutting it up in smaller pieces would be better somehow.

Could anyone else advise? Thanks.

RoD said:
what grit is everyone using?

My guess would be 400, 600, 1000 and 1500, or something close to that.

What do you say RoD... what size would recommend I cut the sandpaper into? Would you agree with violineb? Thanks

Take a look at the grooves on your HS, if they're pretty severe start with 600 grit, then move to 1000. For most people 1000 grit is good enough.

Also, I use full sheets (8.5" x 11") and duct tape them to an old table we have. Then I apply equal pressure over the HSF and swirl the HS around in a circle on the table, on the sand paper. After about 100 revolutions I turn the HS 90 degrees and do 100 more revolutions. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat until happy. You should get a nice shine :) Use higher grit sand paper if you'd like a clearer/flatter finish.

Thanks for your reply, Quigsby. A full sheet of sandpaper makes it easy enough; no cutting required. :)

I cut my A4 sized paper into fours. but i ended up using 3 out of every four pieces to lap my heatsink and CPU. i used 400,600,800,1000,1200,1500 and 2000. overboard but the sheets were cheap =)

Welcome to the Forums The O.C.

That's a lot of sandpaper; hard to go wrong with all those grades. Thanks for your post.

May I ask, which brand are you people using?

my sandpaper tends to "contract" and "curl" after some sanding (water added and on a glass panel)... -_-

I use 3M, they make good stuff (and made in MN!).

Anyways, I tried the water/soap trick and it sort of helped, not very much, i would use very very little water though.

Quigsby said:
Take a look at the grooves on your HS, if they're pretty severe start with 600 grit, then move to 1000. For most people 1000 grit is good enough.

Also, I use full sheets (8.5" x 11") and duct tape them to an old table we have. Then I apply equal pressure over the HSF and swirl the HS around in a circle on the table, on the sand paper. After about 100 revolutions I turn the HS 90 degrees and do 100 more revolutions. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat until happy. You should get a nice shine :) Use higher grit sand paper if you'd like a clearer/flatter finish.

i wouldnt advise you to lap that way, read -THIS article on lapping :)-

Lifting the block after each pass and only moving in one straight direction is reportedly the best technique.

redface said:
May I ask, which brand are you people using?

I've only used wet/dry 3M (Tri-M-ite and Imperial).

Seems to me 3 2/3" x 9" sheets would work best for the "back and forth" or "one-way and lift" sanding techniques. But then for sanding in circles or figure 8's a more square shaped piece of sandpaper would be better.

I'd apprecieate any other opinions on how best to cut a full sheet of sandpaper (or not). I still have to go buy more sandpaper; I used mine all up on my neighbor's HS. :)

Last edited:
1time, use the 3 2/3" x 9" sheets then (copied from your post, dont know their actual dimensions)

you can read about the circle and figure 8 etc lapping here, basicly, the one way lapping method is the best, with circles, or figure 8's you would end up with a rounded base.. unless you used a machine.

I used 3M sandpaper as well. I didn't choose the brand,I just got whatever I could find from the Lordco Auto Shop. Had to ask the guy behind the counter to get the single sheets though. Costed $1.30 for 1000 grit and up for half sheets and $1.49 for 800 grit and down for full sheets. I also used the back and forth method with sheets cut into fours.

I agree with 1Time however,longer sheets would have probably been easier for me if I had cut the sheets in half allowing me to have a longer piece of paper to work with. Once those sheets start to curl it can get tough to keep the sanding going smoothing. So I'd have to say that 1Time is right that it's probably best to use a square piece for circle motion sanding and longer sheets for back and forth method.

Also I tried using soap at the beginning but that made things quite a lot messier so I stopped using it. Also whenever the paper curled when I used soap it became even more of a pain. I think soap would be easier to use with larger sheets of paper where curling might be less of a concern.

The following summarizes the responses in this thread regarding how or whether to cut a 9" x 11" sheet of sandpaper for lapping my HS:

- full 9" x 11" sheet, no cutting required
- it depends on the size of the HS being sanded
- the size that would fit a sanding block
- 1/4 sheets
- 1/3 sheets
- more square shaped sheets for the "circle" or "figure 8" sanding techniques
- longer rectagular sheets for the "back and forth" or "one way and lift" sanding techniques
- it doesn't matter how or whether to cut the sandpaper

In reviewing the responses I'm not sure there was a consensus, but I've decided to cut the 9" x 11" sheets into thirds at 3 2/3" x 9" and then use the "one way and lift" sanding technique. I plan on buying 3M sandpaper the next time I'm at an autoparts store, probably 400, 600 and 1000 grit.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Back