• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning the CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

f012t12

I originally (before having cpu problem) used cotton swabs and 70 percent isopropyl alchohol to clean the heat pad from the top plate of my p4 2.0A

Accidentally, some of the alchohol may have hit the pins on the bottom.

Could this be the reason why my cpu isn't working?

What should I have done? Also, would you ever want to clean the pins of a cpu chip? If so, how would you do it correctly?

Was it completely dry when you started using it? If not, then yes, you may have killed it. But since alcohol evaporates fast, probably not. I've heard of people completly soaking their cpu in alcohol to get rid of spilled thermal paste, and after drying, have their cpu still work. I would look for other sources of problems.

what makes me think it's the cpu is that I switched it from one computer to another, cleaning it before placing it in.

Before i switched it, the cpu worked. Afterwards it didn't. I placed the cpu into the computer i switched it from and it didn't work.

The two computers are identical. Can't think of an explanation for not working but that.

Yes, it was pretty dry. Dry enough where I couldn't feel any moisture.

sigh.. static electricity may have got to it.. did you ground yourself to the case before taking out the cpu? It's important ot have the same charge in your body as the CPU before taking it out.

T`i`M`T`o`O, what kind of reply is that?

did the other rig boot or post with the cpu working, or didnt it even power up?

Lol, i like your Avatar Wannaoc, can i get one of those? :D

Yeah it sounds like it could be static to me. What static precautions do you take? I'm really cautious, wrist straps, the lot. Even when i'm just tidying up wires or somethin. I'm doubtin its the alcohol.

EDIT: Its probably pretty rare static will kill a component straight out it will more than likely just weaken it, but there are cases where it will kill components outright. I've seen a few components killed by static. Not mine, fortunately...

Yeah, static is probably a possibility in my house. For instance, I was once sitting in the kitchen by myself when I saw this quick flash (not hallucinating, well, pretty darn sure) and a small noise out of nowhere, near the toaster.

Oh, and, I did place the cpu back into the original mobo it came from and it did not work :(

Yeah, life, now I'm going to have to deal with Intel Warranty service :( ..... what a pain...

Thx for you help guys.

Back