• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Deciding on a PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metsrule3186

So far the pc im building is

• Asus K8T800 Chipset Motherboard “K8V Deluxe”
• AMD Athlon 64 3400+
• Plextor 8X DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model PX-708A
• Western Digital 200GB SATA HDD
• Western Digital 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA HDD
• ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
• Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
• Mushkin 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 (Retail)
• Thermaltake Silent Boost K8
• Silenx 120mm Fans

i am leaning towards the antec p160 case as well. My question is just what would be a good and quiet psu to add to this setup. i was originally looking at a antec true 430 or 480 and then was looking at the silenx 450. does anyone have any reccommendations? also i was wondering how loud the rapter is going to be and if there is anything i can do to quiet it down or if the 74GB rapter is any quieter. i was planning on using it to load windows on.

If you are going to be putting all of this cash into that system...why kill it with a ok PSU...

PC Cooling turbo 510 will run circles around them all...and if you can't afford the turbo 510...they do make a turbo 425...

one of the main things though is im trying to keep it quiet is this a psu that is going to be very loud

The Turbocool 510 by most accounts I've read isn't loud, but it's also not quiet either. The 425 is somewhat quieter, according to PCP&C when I talked to them.

The also make a "Silencer" line of PSU's designed for super-quietness. The highest one is a 410, I believe, but remember that once again they rate their PSU's wattage at 40 or 45 degrees instead of 20 like everyone else, so their PSU's can handle a lot more than anything from another manufacturer rated at the same wattage.

Yes, I love my turbo 510 Deluxe. I have also talked to the PCP&C tech support and they told me the turbo 425 was quieter. Either of these would be an excellent choice!

Other good choices would be the 530watt Fortron from newegg.

The Antec TrueControl or TruePower 550's

The TrueControl allows you to adjust the power supply fans.

Both are whisper quiet and extremely capable supply's.

:D

Back