• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory water blocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dont think they are manufactured. I remember seeing a guy who made custom memory waterblocks, but frankly I don't see the point.

Dont think they are manufactured. I remember seeing a guy who made custom memory waterblocks, but frankly I don't see the point.

if you have corsair xms or anthing that you would want to OC you might want them.
and i know a way to make them, i have seen it done, but i dont know how well it would work. do you make your own blocks?

sounds easy to make... take a stick of copper, width and length of a ram heat spreader. take a channel out of the middle of it shallow since you dont have much space. and put a top on it. barbs on the end, use thermal epoxy to put it on.

might only be able to do 1 side and thats still assuming you have a MOBO where 2 slots are seperated further than the rest.

Unless you wanna go hardcore or fanless or something, they're really not necessary, especially for 'normal' overclocking. You probably wouldn't see any gain unless you take that memory up above 3.5v or so.

All you really need to do is take copper tubing and have it run along the memory chips. It will displace the heat better than heat spreaders do, but it would be a pain to set up I would think.

overclockershideout used to make'em
maybe there are still a few out there...
saw one for sale on ebay about a year ago..

ares350 said:
sounds easy to make... take a stick of copper, width and length of a ram heat spreader. take a channel out of the middle of it shallow since you dont have much space. and put a top on it. barbs on the end, use thermal epoxy to put it on.

might only be able to do 1 side and thats still assuming you have a MOBO where 2 slots are seperated further than the rest.
Carve out a single block so it fits over all of the banks of memory at once instead.

yeah, but itd be a nightmare to get a block that fits that perfectly between the 2 sticks. I donno if the distance between blocks is a standard distance.

waste of time, money and water pressure.
memory doesnt get hot enough to need watercooler...
Well unless you chilled the water that is, i dont see much of a point

If your running 3.5v or more on a 24/7 I can see a need for it. Have to be some hardcore overclocking though. I would be more motivated to do a vdimm mod on my board if I had such cooling.......(comfortable)

as I just think to myself....

how bought a square aluminum pipe. weld/solder barbs on the end, and the flat sides let you just strap it right on with thermal epoxy or spring loaded clamps.

as I think about that, it would be very easy. even better if you get a thin sheet of copper and work it into a square tube, solder it sealed, barbs ect. I dont know if they sell copper in square tubes off the shelf. plus with sheeting youd be able to make it thinner for better heat transfer.

itd be very little resistance, and not particularly great transfer, but you dont need a whole lot.

copper would probably be a better idea, but that sounds pretty close to the blocks corndog was talking about. Seems like concensous is: only legit when in extreme circumstances. So, somebody running high voltage on ram, wanna try it out?

or someone that would run extreme voltage with proper cooling.

or somebody that wants to run without any fans.

or somebody that just likes to play with watercooling and would want to make a simple block.

so what would you use to do this, normal electric solder, or use lead solder? and how about the gaps, fill em with jbweld, or ... I guess you could solder a thick endcap, thread it, and put the barb in like that.

ares350 said:
yeah, but itd be a nightmare to get a block that fits that perfectly between the 2 sticks. I donno if the distance between blocks is a standard distance.

Wouldn't be too bad if you had the right tools. I'm pretty sure I could pull it off, but I only have one stick, so I didn't have to. And yes, I plan to do some extreme memory overclocking when I can get my *** moving on the final waterblock. Probably sometime after finals which are next week.

These would be dead easy to make.

Copper heat spreader and then solder a lengh of copper pipe to it.

Easy. No loss if water pressure or flow rate

Would only take 10min to make once you have the stuff.

Buzz

P.S.

Post some pics when you have them

Back