• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU rails ok? Seeing instability at POST.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jognt

All round good guy
Ive got a zalman 400w PSU, and eversince ive got it, i cannot hook up all my devices to it, because my PC would become "unstable" meaning, at post, where it ID's the CPU it would hang at : "Intel Pentium... .blahblah" it wouldnt go further than "I" and then stop..

ive removed 2 fans from my rig since they died, and i hooked up the front usb/firewire/sound panel, and it started to sort of hang there again, now it will go past it, but it will stutter at the "I" of Intel, but it will start as normal..

Im wondering if this is PSU-related..

heres an image of my PSU rails..(the 12v line SOMETIMES goes up to 11.92 but that is like once every minute)

Attachments

• psu rails.jpg
    psu rails.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 88
what do u have connected to ur psu? what are the specs of your system? name everything... You should be fine with a 400psu, believe me...

i believed it too, untill i disconnected one thing, (a fan on 12v) and the system ran better...

total system specs:
Abit IC7-G
P4 2.4c
radeon 9800pro
2*512mb corsair XMS3200LL v1.2 (twinx)
S-ATA maxtor 120gb/8mb hdd
floppy
NEC ND-1300A DVD-RW
2 coolermaster LED casefans
QTEC multi function front panel

the system simply isnt stable, at post.
It is stable when it is in windows, but it will sometimes hang at post.

Ive seen people with way lower 12v rails, but i thought, maybe because its a zalman..

zalman isnt a high performance (power) brand, its a silence brand...

with those specs u could run it off a 350 and u'd be fine... hmm, do have any other psu's laying around the house, or another comp... U might want to pop the psu in another comp and see if it gives u problems... If it does then it's ur psu.... Fans only draw like 2-9 watts (average) so I can't see how they would be causing instability problems... I have like 2fans, 4uv lights, one slot fan, and that standard computer parts hooked up to my 20dollar psu and its ok (not great for ocing like crazy, but decent)... Try hooking up your zalman psu to another computer, and see if it causes stablity issues, if it does, its the zalman.. You might want to RMA (if u have a warranty and it wont cost an arm and a leg to ship) it, for the most part zalman's arent horrible... They'll work just fine.... Right now someone is selling a forton 530 for 70 bucks on oc forums, thats not bad... you might want to check that out once u've isolated the problem...

k thanks, ill try it... ive got a 350w PSU lying around from qtec, ill see if that works..

well, i havent had the possibility yet to exchange the PSU's, but i have come across something i find pretty strange...

I picked some PSU's at random, (400-460W) and they all had about 30amps on the 12v rail... mine only has 14amps on the 12v rail!!! thats the same amount as the zalman 300w PSU!!!

Maybe this is my problem?

Back