• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC to Reciever question for HTPC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adam12

Registered
I want to use my PC as a HTPC and have a few questions about getting audio to the TV.

from the research I have done I will need to get an 1/8 to RCA adapter, then from the adapter run RCA cables to my reciever.

1. my computer is about 25 ft from the reciever will I lose a lot of sound quality with cables that long?

2. will the soround still work with my output? (I have the A7n8x deluxe mobo with Soundstorm)

3. thats all I need as far as sound for my HTPC right?

25 feet is a long distance for RCA cables (interconnects). Still, you might not notice the sound degredation even though there is bound to be some.

A high end system will generally try to keep the interconnects short unless you're using balanced interconnects (you'll know what these are if you're using them; they are not RCA cables) or a digital signal.

what sort of surround sound are you intending to use?
what inputs on your receiver are you intending to use?

I have a 6 speaker 500 watt panasonic surround system from costco the reciever is also a 5 disc dvd player.

I plan on using the "AUX" input on the reciever it has a input for left and right.

Sound isin't something that im huge on I just want to be sure I can hear it hehe.
Thanks
Adam

No digital inputs on the receiver? Then you wouldn't have to worry about noise, and all surround channels would be there...

As for surround over those cables, I really don't know enough. There are som standards that can encode surround information in a normal L/R signal, but not sure about what type that is. Give it a go and see what happens!

I'm pretty sure that Dolby ProLogic is contained in a simple L+R signal. You might have to make sure your DVD software is outputting ProLogic, or such. That will give you a L, R, center, and rear channel.

You'll definitely get a reasonable audio signal with 25' interconnects. So, you should be satisfied.

Thanks for all your help guys, once I get my X800 I will set the audio up and let ya know it works.
Thanks
Adam

If you can, use the optical output, as the sound quality is dramatically better. It is also a simple one cable hook up, so it makes for a cleaner installation. You don't have to worry about EMI this way, just make sure none of the bends you make in the optical cable are tighter than a two inch radius.

Back