• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

p!ktu]2e_1

I have a question. How fast should a server computer be? I'm talking about CPU(pentium, amd, 800fsb,533), MEMMORY(512, 1gb?), HD(RAID 0?)

This is primarily used for gaming at my Lan parties.
thnx

Depends on the game your are running. Battlefield 1942/Vietnam is very taxing. Quake III/Counter-Strike isn't. Whatever you have, make sure you have tons of memory, and good hard disk system. I think those are the most important supposing you have a 2ghz+ CPU.

Just for comparison:

My dual PIII 600's were great for Quake III and Counter-Strike all at once (512 mb ram) but couldn't do much with Battlfield.

if you're going to use it as a pure game server, then you'd need a lot of ram. but if you're going to use it as a mail server also (like i do), then you'd need a great hdd system - at least two 7200rpm's in raid 0.

Okay all Im going to be using it for a gaming server to run Cod, UT2004, I'm looking to spend more than $500. Should i spend over $200 on the memory?

I would recommend a Pentium 4 for server use. (not sure about Celerons) But if you have a tight budget AMD would be a much better way to go.

So youre saying amd's are better procs for severs? u mean A64? or xp? Can some one give me an overall system layout.

okay so proc

P4 2ghz+
1gb3200?...Xms..value...
asus mobo def. :)
and i guess thats it ... hmm
any suggestions

no, he's saying amd's are cheaper. currently, amd does have the best server chip on the market - the opteron - but they start with prices over $1k. so, i don't think that's the best for you. if this is a simple game server, take a a64 3200+, 1 gig of pc3200 that can run 3-3-3-8 timings (no sense in searching for bh-5 chips), two 7200 rpm SATA hdd in raid0, and the cheapest vid card you can find (not important at all in a server). that's what i would do. the a64 has a lot more bang for your buck than any p4.

I understand that ram is a main factor of a server computer, What is the benefit of getting Low latency high performance ram than value ram? Will it affect the server tremendously?

it can effectively make your memory perform 20% or more better. if you're using it to game serve, its going to be doing a heck of a lot of switching because of all the changing factors in a game. so you want those transfers to happen as quickly as possible. that said, it won't make or break your server, it just makes it perfrom better. so, its just like everything else when building a pc - do you want to lay out a little more money to get a better product?

This is what I would do.

Dual Athlon XP 2500-M
MSI K7D
1500mb(or more) Pc2700 RAM
Either S-ATA or U160 hard drive(s) If S-ATA go for RAID, if U160 just get a fast Maxtor drive and your good.
Get a SB Live if you want any sound
AGP vcard, maybe a reliable Radeon

I would focus on having two processors for a server. And the mobiles will be easier to cool.

If your running the hard drives through a PCI card, then dont use anything else on the PCI slots if you can help it. You want all the bandwith you can take. Although a sound card that takes an occasional "Beep" isn't going to hurt anything.

a SB live can be had fairly cheap now, and a nice ATI card isn't expensive either. Spend more than $5 on your Vcard, and you'd have a NICE gaming system too if your at home alone.

-_- -_-

Foxie, agreed, except for the amd xp 2500+, wuts the fsb on that sucka? 500 below. Prolly should make it 2.6/2.4c p4. 800mhz fsb! U want a better micron process but won't run hot and burn itself. Stabality+endurance=server -_-

I would also go with a Pentium. Just because it's a game server doesn't mean it's going to be gaming.

Get a 2.4 and overclock it high, is a gig of ram enough? I don't know, in any case, with Intels tight timings aren't an issue so need to worry about Low Latency stuff.

I would search for a board with integrated graphics if it's not actually going to be gaming, that will save on the budget as well as space and weight. I would never touch a Celeron, and I wouldn't touch anything without 800FSB.(Save: Xeon)

Don't OC a server. Having it stable is more important than some extra speed. I'll overclock something else, but not my server. Yeah, it'll probably be okay as long as you don't go overboard, but why risk it. I know this is the Overclockers forum, but I think we can all agree that stability is more important than extra speed.

Back