• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for ALOT of info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amplifier

I am looking for a good motherboard for a 2.8ghz p4 with ht, 800fsb, and the best mobo for a athlon 3200 XP. I am comparing the two to decide which way I will go. I know either one of the cpus are good, but need a mobo to compare. Which do you guys think would be better for GAMING, and maybe overclocking awhile down the road?

Well while my opinions might be a little out dated, here they are.

For the Intel chip i would recommend the IC7 series of boards by abit. Fast reliable and overclock like a son of a *****.

For the amd chip I would recommend the NF7-S board, i have one on my 2500+ and its a really nice board. (Overclocks like a son of a ***** too)

I have used both of those boards, but im not sure about the overclocking of a 3200+ myself. With the 2.8 p4 you should be able to get fairly high.. ~3.6 or higher depending on cooling I guess. I realise abit has newer revisions of these boards out, such as the AN7 and AI7, but oh well.. just my opinions :)

:sn:

**edit** Oh and also for the AMD board, the DFI lanparty series seems to go down well :)

go with the p4 2.8C and slide it into a P4C800-E

(dont forget the"-E")

im an asus guy but both abit and asus are the best out there for intel the P4C800-E seem's to beat the IC7
and for the amd abit's NF7-S seams to beat asus's A7N8X-E

so intel and asus amd and abit alright good luck

This question is 2 sided, I would agree with both statements here, problem is how much do you want to spend? Are you mostly just going to game? If so you might be happier with a nice AMD setup, but if that is just 1 thing of the many you would be happy with both. Give a little more info and We can help talor what we think would be the best systems out their. The Asus A7n8x deluxe most people love and is a great overclocking board with the nf7-s for the Amd side. Intel I am a little more rusty on, but I have heard of the IC7 like they said being a great Intel board.

So I guess the only other thing I can add this thread is if you want to spend a lot, then we can help you better fit what board and/or proc might be the best right now.

Well I am looking to spend around 350-400 on the mobo and the cpu. Maybe a a little less/more

How does this look:

P4C800-E REFURBRISHED (Its cheaper by $60)
Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail

And I need to know, what type of ram would be good for this setup (I have pc2100 now, but would that bottleneck the system? If so what brand of ram should I look at?

Yeah, you will need new ram to go with this upgrade. Preferably DDR433 or higher if you plan on overclocking a reasonable amount. :)

Im not too familiar with the prices of video cards overseas, but from what I can gather other people are paying thats not too bad for a 9800pro ... but you probly shouldn't take my word for that :)

:sn:

Back