• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Few questions about peltier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
I just picked up a 170w peltier and I'll probably need another power supply to handle that. (14A on 12v, 34A on 5v, or 52A on 3.3v)

#1 If I were to add a second power supply and it's connected to nothing else except for the power on wire from the mobo so both power supply can be turned on/off simulanteously, would that work or would I need toi wire the second power supply to turn on separately?

#2 I have liquid cooling system installed and the peltier could go into one of the 2 places: between the P4 CPU and water cooling block (the liquid cooling will keep the peltier from overheating) or I could stick the cold side onto the liquid reservior and add heatsink/fan to the hot side. Since the liquid is oil, freezing wouldn't be an issue.

Plus if I use the reservior version, I won't have to worry about condensation. Is this method better than trying to stick the peltier onto the CPU? Currently the CPU runs around 35 degree celsius under full load and it's not overclocked but I can OC the P4 from 2.4GHz all the way to 3GHz by changing the bus speed from 100MHz to 133MHz. I just don't know how hot the CPU would get when OC'ed as high as it can go.

If I do go with sticking the peltier on the CPU, I could use foam spray (nonconductive, water and gas resistant) around the CPU socket and on the back side of the board to prevent condensation.

Does anyone have a nice electronic circuit design that would automatically turn on the peltier when the CPU reaches certain temp so the CPU would be warm enough to prevent any condensation?

#3 Or maybe I'll just make a cup holder and have nice chilled beer by my PC. ;-) I still have the large copper heatsink/fan I used before I installed the liquid cooling system so it should be OK.

Yes, you do need a seperate power supply.

You can buy one, or build your own, up to you.

Putting to pelt on the resevior won't do much. I am currently building a water chiller like this that uses pelts, but you need waterblocks, heatsinks, and other stuff, and won't get much as far as results go. I am just doing it because I had the parts and it should lower my temps a couple degrees.

Putting the TEC on the CPU directly is your best option. There are lots of guides around that tell you how to insulate things to prevent condensation.

You should spend some time reading these forums, and other stuff on the net about using a pelt on your cpu, all the information is out there, you just have to go through it all.

Good luck :)

Back