• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KVM-potential modding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zeroxeal

Registered
alright ill lay it all out. i like to be able to see what im doing, therefore there are currently 6 montiors on my super small desk. almost all of them are hooked up to different systems. now obviusly without a kvm my desk would be input device laden.

my question is has any one heard of a kvm (thats not ungodly expensive) that has a keypad/switch pad/etc run off to swap between inputs? this switch would hopefully also not have a keyboard based hot key.

reason behind this is id prefer 1 keyboard for almost all of these compters, and seeing as i game on the fastest one having something like ctrl (wich is often the hot key to swap to the next screen) would prove rather cumbersome if persay i wanted to duck in a FPS.

this kvm wouldnt need to do any actual video routing, just input.

currently my best option appears to buy a 12 port (or so) and mod a keypad of sort(most likely a serial one) so that when i hit ex button, its sodered to ex point on the kvm (interlally sodered to the button that swaps to that input) and just run it up next to my keyboard, this still how ever means im tampering with a potentially expensive kvm, it also means im buying an expesnive kvm and not using half of it. help please?

They exist... Tend to be a button on the face that just cycles through them... Don't know of any of that size though.

99% of kvms have a switch, i used to own like a 16 port one that was digital it had a button for each computer you would press and the led would light up, you could acually have 2 keyboards mice and monitors and be on 2 diff comps at the same time, don't remember the brand though..

yea i know they have a button usually to switch to a certin one. i want a keypad for the buttons and it doesnt neeed to do video either.

point being that i may swap quickly without reaching 3 feet over to reach my rack and hit the button.

if your talking about what i think your talking about my CAD room at school has a crazy set up with like 30 computers, the teachers desk has a control pannel that can take over each computer or display one comps screen on all the comps. The amount of wires under his desk is simply amazing

Back