• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon xp3200 400fsb....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LanWaker

Registered
Just ordered this cpu...
what do you guys think....
can someone find me a link to a review....
is there a LOT of difference from the version at 333 fsb?
and finaly, looking a my old processor....with kind of experience should i expect.... 3 times faster?!?!?!
thz a lot guys..

I think... you should have ordered a mobile and overclocked it. It would have been cheaper and you would have had more performance out of it.

No there is not a whole lot of difference between 333/400fsb, but it's definitely fun to tweak. :)

There was no Athlon XP 1400, so you probably mean a 1.4GHz tbird, right? It's probably about 50% faster - you will definitely notice an increase.

yep sorry, the tbird is what i'm having...
i know about the 2500 read a lot aout it...
the fact is that chip is 3200 stock!!!
maybe i was wrong but at least i'll will have the performance you guys have oc'ed
read a lot about the 2500 mobile and the fact is that you can "hit" one locked and i'm willing to put the money (260$tx incl canadian dollar) for the hassle
what do you guys think...

MHz speed = [FSB] x multiplier

The 333 version uses PC2700 RAM at 166 FSB
The 400 version uses PC3200 RAM at 200 FSB

If the multiplier is unlocked and you have PC3200 RAM, you can simply increase the FSB and lower your multiplier to easily turn the 333 version into a 400 version.

Unless it's an old chip, you desktop 3200+ is multiplier locked at 11 and overclocks about 300 MHz less than mobile Bartons and similar to any new desktop 2500+ Barton.

The reason people mentioned Mobile Bartons is that they are always multiplier unlocked. If you have PC3200 RAM, any mobile Barton can be set to [200] x 11 which is what your desktop 3200+ is factory set to.

The thing is that any mobile can be set to a lot more than any desktop Barton including the 3200+. You'll notice a huge improvement over your 1.4 T-Bird, but you could have had an even better performance and you could have had it for less $.

Ask q's prior to purchase, I always do and I always end up buying something other than I was going to, people here know where to get what and where the good deals are, even in Canada.

Last edited:
Thx a lot for your post c627627
are there any chances to unlock my chip in the near future??

Ask q's prior to purchase, I always do and I always end up buying something else than I was going to, people here know where to get what and where the good deals are, even in Canada.
That's what I almost said... well except for that part about Canada ;)

Doesn't look likely that you will be able to unlock it in the future, but since the 3200+ aren't purchased as often, because of the price, you may get lucky and get an unlocked one. Tell us the markings on your chip and we can tell whether it's locked or not. If it's before week 39, it should be.

Here's what to look for to determine the week:
AQZFA 0339 UPMW

Even if it's locked, the fsb and multi are already high so you probably should not have much trouble maxing it out using the fsb, depending on the rest of your setup.

Thank's wicked-one, tou are really helpful...
tell me, if the chip (3200) is unlocked, can i beat a 2500XP m oced???

Hello there fellow Quebeccer ;)

Indeed I think you could have saved yourself some cahs and gone with a mobile chip, but either way your system will be fast none the less. You already ordered it so wait till you get it and see what you can get out of it, might OC very good, ya just never know.

Back