• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you use an adblocker?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you use an adblocker?

• Yes, I use an adblocker

Votes: 113 65.3%
  • No, I do not use an adblocker

Votes: 60 34.7%

• Total voters

Kendan

Senior Punk
Do you use an adblocker? I do not mean popup blocker!!!

Just a simple yes or no. Then read what I have to say and respond after you have voted. Thank you.

Advertising is what pays for sites like overclockers.com and ocforums.com plus most others. Now for the people that use adblockers are you actively donating to sites that you visit frequently or are you just in it for the free ride? As for the people that don't block the ads do you click thru and check out who is supporting your favorite sites? I am just curious as to the opinions of the members here as to how they feel about the system that is in place. ie: Advertising supported sites and the use of adblockers which could threaten the livelyhood of the very sites you like and visit on a daily basis. What say you members of ocforums?

Last edited:
I block popups, but not ads. Annoying yes, but sometimes ad blockers I've used in the past didn't work right. I do have the newegg OC reference bookmarked though.

i use adsgone to block ads, but only turn it on when i'm looking for something on google, or another thing were i'm likely to get bombarded.

crimedog said:
i use adsgone to block ads, but only turn it on when i'm looking for something on google, or another thing were i'm likely to get bombarded.

Do you donate mioney to the sites you visit on a daily basis?

Hmmm. Well sadly enough, I use AOL, cough cough. Yeah, but I piggy back off of my parents account, and so it costs next to nothing and I get a great connection for dial up. But, AOL comes pre installed with a pop up blocker, but ads still come through every once and a while. I only click on them if they are cool though. For instance, the TigerDirect laptop giveaway or an Alienware giveaway, sweepstakes for computers...... I never click on ads that look cheap or suspicious. Too bad for the poor sites, but that's how I pick and choose.

but the sites only get money if you click on the site,, not for showing up and being blocked,,

I use an imported LMHOSTS file (300k :eek:) to block most of the common adservers. Hotmail without ads = :cool:

Also I use Opera's popup blocking on "requested only", and as the hosts file also contains Opera adserver addresses I don't get Opera ads too :)

As for a specific adblocker, no I don't use one.

L337 M33P said:
I use an imported LMHOSTS file (300k :eek:) to block most of the common adservers. Hotmail without ads = :cool:

Where did you get that from? I got mine from a thread on another forum who posted it. Mind you, replacing all the IP's from 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.bla.. took Notepad a while, lol :)

Kendan said:
Just to clarify, I am not talking about popup blockers. I block those with google toolbar:D
I probably should have read through before voting yes :eek:. I do use the "pop up blocker" in ZoneAlarm pro but I do not use the ad blocker.

I understand they are there for a reason. I do click on them once in a while though I rarely buy from anywhere but Newegg. That's why I keep this link handy http://www.newegg.com/index.asp?refer=0vercl0ckers

Popup blcoker = Yes
Adblocker = No

Though mentally I block every ad that exists, so :D
JigPu

I use Mozilla which has automatic popup blocking.

I also use a hosts file that blocks many common advertisement sites.

I believe the amount of advertising we are deluged with is beyond what would be reasonable, so I block a good chunk of it. Some of it does get through of course, wasting my bandwidth, but I get most of it with a good hosts file.

I have never donated money to a website, though I might do so under certain circumstances. I would rather pay for a site that I use a lot than get bombarded by advertisements. I don't even watch TV anymore because there are just too many commercials. Commercials used to be 5 minutes per hour, now they are 30 minutes per hour. Screw that, I have better things to do with my time than watch all those ads.

MRD said:
I don't even watch TV anymore because there are just too many commercials. Commercials used to be 5 minutes per hour, now they are 30 minutes per hour. Screw that, I have better things to do with my time than watch all those ads.
You need to build your self a HTPC or get a TIVO .. Fast forward through those commercials :D. I rarely get stuck watching commercials anymore.

Back