• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Canadian Computer Store in Vancouver.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sLk

http://www.cancomputer.com/

I purchased a monitor from these guys in November of 2003.
The monitor is dead and requires RMA.
Unfortunately, as the website states, the store is 'closed for rennovation' and only open on Saturdays from 3-6pm for RMA.
The phone number listed on the site redirects you to an automated messaging system and cannot leave messages.
Their email box is full or no longer in service.
Their fax machine is no longer receiving calls.
The website messaging system does not work or is ignored.
When I went down to the store itself there were no visible signs of renovation. It simply looked like they had closed for the day, shut off the lights, and left. The only difference was a note on the door saying "closed for renovation".

I am reluctant at this point to hand them my monitor.
Can anyone give me some insight on what to do?

Sometimes this place is about as useful as a third nipple.
Bump.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS VENDOR.

I decided to go down to the store today to hopefully replace my monitor.
Already having been inconvenienced by their "rennovation" hours I asked if I may either replace it with the same model, a model similar in price, pay extra to upgrade to what's in stock, or get my money back.

Here's what I got:

1) My model monitor was not in stock so option A) is out of the picture.

2) Leave the monitor with the store and "hopefully" you will be able to pick it up in 10-15 business days. Keep in mind they are only open on saturday from 3-6pm and their contact numbers/addresses are ignored.

3)Upgrade to a Samsung 955df they just happen to have in stock. It is $80 more but there is a catch. I would have to pay an extra 25% penalty for "depreciation of warantee" on top the extra price difference.

4) Take a used 17" monitor as a replacement.

Unhappy with my options and already inconvenienced by their bizarre business hours I made it clear that I would not be leaving the store without a working monitor or my money back.
Instead of working with me to resolve the situation he outright declared "store policy" and some kind of "industry standard".
Left with meager options I reluctantly chose to leave the monitor with him and hope for the best.
When I asked him for another number to contact him he quoted the store number. The same store number that repeats a message saying they are "closed for rennovation" and stated that their were no other means of contact.
Very skeptical at this point I simply said that I would like my money back or another monitor.
He called the police.
After exlaining the situation to the police we were told this was a civil matter, and that the police were going to stay out of it but did mention to the store owner that, for the sake of good business practices, it would be in his best interests to return my money so I may purchase my monitor from elsewhere and he could carry on with business. Unfortunately the store owner would not budge.

Eventually I walked away with my still defective monitor, left with a 40lb paperweight and a piece of paper with the words "warantee" on it and that's about it.
The funny thing is, there were a dozen people in the store at the time, all with the same problems I was experiencing. One couple had been trying to get a hold of the store for six weeks.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH:
The Canadian Computer Store.
#107-11400 Bridgeport Rd,
Richmond, B.C. Canada,
V6X 1T2
Tel:(604) 303-2488

I've filed a complaint with the local Better Business Bureau.
I'm considering pursuing this matter through small claims court although it may end up costing me more in the end.
This would be my first experience in small claims court.
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that would help my cause.

Oh thats rough man. I won't buy anything over $20 from a company I do not know myself. If I really want to know, I can usually get my work to purcahse something from them first. I see how that goes and then put them on my list of Ok buyers.

I sounds like you got a refurbished product, sold at full price with a bogus warrenty.

Through my own research I was able to find out the distributer for The Canadian Computer Store.
I have learned through the distributer that The Canadian Computer Store is officially out of business.
Their staff were laid off indefinitely and are no longer receiving product orders.

Everything up to this point has been smoke and mirrors to avoid getting their pants sued off by their creditors.

The good news is the distributer is willing to handle my RMA. Thank god.
I'm just glad I didn't leave my monitor with The Canadian Computer Store. I probably would've been out my monitor as well as the $250 I paid for it.

If you are experiencing a problem with The Canadian Computer Store and would like the name of their distributer I would more than happy to to forward it to any of the site admins as it appears the distributer is willing to handle RMA on products they sold to The Canadian Computer Store.
I also urge you to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau as they alert consumers on unreputable businesses.

Back