• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help choosing PCI video card...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SantiMun

I purchased a Radeon 9200se 128mb PCI card a few days ago and I'm not too happy with it. The reason is whenever the resolution changes (for games or emulators) everything goes black and the monitor displays a "self test check" (usually this is shown when you turn your computer off but leave the monitor on) and stays like that for at least 5 seconds. This gets extremely annoying! I've tried switching to another PCI slot, and reinstalling the new drivers but the same thing happens. I am thinking about getting a new PCI card, but I do not want to get anything over 100 dollars. I saw a Radeon 9200 (non se) 128mb PCI card for about 92 dollars on Circuit City.com. Is that a good deal or should I go with something else? Please help!

I found a VsionTek Xtasy Radeon 9100 128mb PCI card for $60!!! I'm going to order it right now. But now I have another question. Is this a good card to overclock if I wanted to?

I have an AGP version of the Powercolor 9100 in the family comp but I haven't tried overclocking it yet, so I can't give you any info on that.

BTW, if you didn't already know, the 9100 & 9200 don't do DX9. (They'll play DX9 games but they'll use PS1.4 VS1.1 instead of PS2/3 and VS2). Just wanted to let you know so you don't get dissapointed when it arrives.

Yeah I knew that but thanks for the heads up. Right now I think that's the best deal I can get. I'm not really expecting to able to play Half-Life 2 or anything. As long as I can play Warcraft III and my emulators. I just hope I don't get that long pause before changing resolutions like I did with the 9200se. Do you have any ideas why I had that problem (as mentioned in more detail earlier)?

Back