• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xslothx

so im planning on building myself a new gaming pc this summer. i've put together a list of components. let me know if any of yall have any suggestions or changes i should make.

Attachments

• comp.txt
    779 bytes · Views: 70
Just to save everyone downloading the txt file :)

Plextor PX708A Internal DVD±R/RW & CD-R/RW Drive (Black) $159.99 Zip Zoom Fly
Maxtor 250GB L01M250 8MB Buffer (SATA) $197.00 Fry's Outpost
Maxtor 250GB L01M250 8MB Buffer (SATA) $197.00 Fry's Outpost
Asus A7N8X-E ATX Motherboard $104.00 Xtreme Gear
AMD ATHLON XP 3000 "Barton" 400MHz FSB PROCESSOR $138.00 New Egg
Thermaltake A1745 Extreme Volcano 12 CPU Cooler $25.99 Directron
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Sound Card $72.00 New Egg
SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card $299.00 New Egg
512MB 400MHz DDR PC3200 DIMM CL2.5 $137.00 Kingston
Silencer 360 ATX Power Source $65.00 PC Power & Cooling

total $1,668.98

I cant comment on prices seeing as I am in the UK, but a few things I would point out:

- Perhaps a 333MHz Barton would leave more room for Overclocking?
- Do you need 1.5GB of RAM? Even 1GB is overkill for most things except heavy multimedia work.
- 360W PSU should be OK but I would probably suggest at least 400W to be on the safe side.

thanks for the input

i realise the 3 512mb sticks of ram is overkill. im not familiar with overclocking at all. if i could overclock the 333mhz barton then i would definitly go with that. ohh yah and thanks for putting the file on the message board. for some reason it wouldn't let me post the message when i copied and pasted the info directly in.

Re: thanks for the input

xslothx said:
i realise the 3 512mb sticks of ram is overkill. im not familiar with overclocking at all. if i could overclock the 333mhz barton then i would definitly go with that. ohh yah and thanks for putting the file on the message board. for some reason it wouldn't let me post the message when i copied and pasted the info directly in.

Having a lower FSB to start gives you more headroom for overclocking, seeing as newer AMD CPUs are locked.

overclocking?

il just have to trust you on that one. do you have any suggestions on where i should go to learn how to overclock. i haven't a clue where to start.

The mobile edition Bartons are multiplier unlocked.

Also, you're at the best place to learn about OC'ing. I'd look over at the CPU section (that's where most people start out at) and read a bunch of the stickies around here. That should give you a good idea of what OC'ing is and how to do it properly.

EDIT: A few comments on your system:
For $65 you can get the Sparkle 530 watt PSU (one of the best out there right now)

Why are you paying $300 for a video card now? The new cards are going to come out soon causing current prices to go down and the Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128meg "Atlantis" (bulk) goes for 205 at Newegg right now.

Instead of your ASUS mobo, I'd look at the DFI Ultra Infinity instead (if your intent is to get into OC'ing). It's the best Socket A OC'ing board out there right now.

locked?

the mobile editions? is the one i picked out locked. how do u tell?

power source

is 530 watts enough? 2 hard drives. 1 maybe 2 disk drives. etc

power

alot of cases i have been looking at come with a 350 watt power supply. will i need to replace it with a larger one?

PSU brand is more important than Wattage. A $20 550 watt no-name PSU will (99.999% of the time) be beaten in power output by a 350 watt Fortron.

Originally posted by c627627 here
All Antecs (Channel Well) are good (Antec True Power is better), Fortron (Sparkle), Sirtec (Enlight, Vantec, Thermaltake), or more expensive Herolchi (Heroichi), PC Power and Cooling, or not as good but not dangerous HEC, TTGI, Zalman (Aopen).

That pretty much sums it up, though I have a few to add: Enermax is good, but not great (Fortron/Sparkle and Antec will always beat it). Avoid Deer (Allied) and Raidmax (Powmax) like the plauge.

The hard drives: SATA is a pain in the ***, if you are new to putting computers together, i REALLY suggest you go with IDE, its cheaper, and sooo much easier to work with, SATA, you need to install drivers and stuff, its all messed up, and the lil faster they are isnt worth the hastle. if your stead fast on sata, heres a program that will make it ever so much easier...
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html
use the first one. GL with your new pc!

in my opinion the ram would be better spent on 1 gig dual kit at better speeds and better company than kingston... other stuff looks nice,, might not need that xp3000 would be better with a 64 2200 or something

Back