• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

comp froze now wont boot a7n8x deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adam12

Registered
First I will give my system info
A7n8x deluxe rev 2.0
Barton 3000+ (400mhz fsb) was running at 11.5x204 2.31 ghz
MSI ti 4200
Two 80gb hitachi SATA drives in RAID)
2x512 ddr400 cosar value select
400w allied power supply
case temps were around 26c and cpu temps were around 38c

ok I was browsing these forums last night when all of a sudden my computer locked up, I couldnt ctrl alt del so I hit the reset button on the case and it would not boot up. the voice alert said soemthing but the TV was so loud I didnt hear it. the computer sounded normal all the fans were working but there was no beep and it did not start. So I restarted it again hoping to hear the voice alert bios error, but it didnt come on that time and has not in the million more times I have restarted it since then. So I have tried everything I can think of and I am thinking that somehow the mobo got damaged.
Here is what I have tried:
Edit* tried clearing the CMOS
tried lowering the FSB jumper to 100
my old XP 1900+ CPU
my old IDE drive
my old stick of 512 pc2700 ram
an old video card
I also checked all power connections and made sure all cables were secure and everything was seated propperly.

The thing that makes me think that it is the mobo is that it will not even beep one time(I checked the internal speaker connection)

Any suggestions would be greatly apperciated
Thanks
Adam

Did you check the power supply? If you have a voltmeter, measure the 3.3, 12, 5 volts at ATX power connector.

If you dont have a volt meter, do you have another power supply? Try that and see what it does.

Do you see the fans spinning and a HDD light on, but no post? If this is true, your bios chip went bye-bye (corrupted). You will need a new bios chip or find another good chip and do a hot flash. Good luck.

yup all the fans are spinning at normal sounding speeds and all the leds are lighting up. It would be worth it for me to just buy another bios chip if I can get one for around $20 rather than wait for an RMA. Can you point me in a direction where I can get a new bios chip?

*edit*
Any idea what would have caused the chip to go bad? can I do anything to prevent that from happening? Also does fact that it did give me a voice error message one time mean it could be something becides the BIOS chip?

The A7N8X Deluxe rev 2.0 has a history of flaky bios chips. It just happens while you where O/C or not doing anything at all.

I bought a bios chip from Asus. If you have the manual, give customer service a call and ask for the bios department. You can get one for 25.00 with bios load and shipping.

Or, order a refurbish mb from newegg.com for 49.00 You will get the board and chip too. Please note you will need a PLLC tool to pull bios chip out of socket. You can get this at radio shack for 10.00.

Back