• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mixing dual and single channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shady_cb

I want to Put a stick of Geil pc 3200 512mb into my one spare slot on my Nf7-s,

But at the momment i got x2 256 dual channel, will a putting a single channel stick affect this or should i just disable the dual channel on the other 2.

PLus is the Ram i using at the Moment any good in users opinions.

Should i get a stick of the golden dragon or should i just stick ot the same type exactly

thanks in advance

CB

i'm pretty sure that if you throw in that third stick it will disable dual channell so instead of 2x256 you will have 1024 with another stick. if you want to keep dual chan then i would reccomend getting another 512 stick but i'm not positive that it will work with the brands you have. my mobo manual says that there are some sticks of ram that can handle 2 sticks of dual chan but not 4 sticks of dual chan. if you have multiple types of the same stuff then it might be less likely that you would get it to work.

In the world of AMD, as long as both channels have the same size and speed then you have dual channel (assuming everyone plays nice). Generally spaeaking slots 1 & 2 comprise one channel and slot three comprises the other channel (check your mobo manual to make sure).
So: 256MB 3200 in slot 1 + 256MB 3200 in slot 2 + 512MB 3200 in slot 3 = dual channel

Intel's dual channel is different than AMD's dual channel.

Intel's dual channel is different than AMD's dual channel.
id like to know how? im curious on this one?
ive always run amd stuff and their stuff i know well,im a noob at intel tho.

btw your amd info is 100% correct.

Back