• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M-Audio or Audigy 2? Or would it even matter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
I'm thinking about upgrading my soundcard, and I already know that the two best bang for the buck cards (I think) are the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 and the Audigy 2 ZS. Right now I'm using the onboard soundstorm on this DFI Infinity, and it doesn't sound bad. I use my computer mostly for gaming and listening to MP3's, and I have a pretty good ear (being a musician and whatnot). I've got all my EQ settings tweaked out, using a Winamp 5 plugin to increase clarity a little more, but I'm just looking for that edge I guess. Using Logitech Z640's, BTW. Not the best in the world, but I don't think I'd ever really use the volume of something like the 680's. I'm tossed up between:

Audigy ZS:
- EAX 3.0 support
- Good Clarity
- Crappy Drivers (or so I've heard)

M-Audio
- Any EAX support?
- Incredible Clarity
- Slick drivers

Which one should I pick up? Or does it even matter? Feel free to list pros or cons of each, or even better choices, etc. Also, feel free to tell me my speakers just plain suck, and I should upgrade those first.

The M-Audio Rev 7.1 uses the same audio as what I have built-in to my motherboard... It does support (or at least the driver says it supports) 32 voices in hardware for EAX 2.0 -- I am currently playing FarCry with Hardware Mixing and EAX 2.0 enabled. However, it may actually support this via a software emulation, which would explain the higher CPU utilization from Envy24-based audio cards.

Still, I absolutely love mine. I'm sure I could get an extra 1% framerate increase by switching to an Audigy or Audigy 2, but I'm not convinced it's worth the pricetag.

I'm not really as much worried about framerates as overall sound quality though. Since I'm doing a lot of gaming, sound positioning is a big factor - would the M-Audio's EAX 2.0 cut it? I'm playing:

BF: Vietnam
BF1942
GTA III/Vice City
Max Payne 2
Halo

etc....

Well I have one of each. To me the M-Audio is better on the games than the Audigy 2, but the Audigy 2 though is WAY better on music. I went from the onboard sound with my NF7-s to the Audigy 2 and was blown away at the difference. Then I decided to try the M-Audio and I really noticed a difference in Call Of Duty and Mechwarrior 4 (the only games I'm playing right now). I have an Altec Lansing 5.1 and the seperation for the center channel and rear channel was much better in the games on the M-Audio. To me the M-Audio is a little better on watching DVD's also, Its hard for me to judge considering I usually watch DVD's on my home system, Onkyo receiver Marantz amps and Axiom Audio speakers, shakes the foundation :attn:
If you mostly play games then I would go for the M-Audio. You wont go wrong with either one though.

I've always gotten the impression that the Audigy 2 was the better gamer and the M-Audio was the best for music listening. That's odd...

What makes music on the Audigy 2 so much better? More detail, cleaner, crisper...?

I was told that also, that the Audigy was better at audio, but I went from one board to the other playing the same games on the same system and to me the gameing was better with the M-Audio, I was suprised.
The music with the Audigy the highs were more crisp the mid's were were a little fuller. The M-Audio did real good with music also, I thought it was way better than the onboard sound with all 3 boards its been in (AI7, MAX3, NF7-S) but to my ears it was the better game board.
Without setting up all my dads testing equipment (He has been in the movie theatre tech business forever, he has trained at Lucas Ranch for THX plus been to Sony for SDDS and a bunch of others) the only way I can go by is my ears (I grew up in movie theatres). Everyone likes different tones so you could get one or the other and disagree with me and thats the thing with sound, everyone is different. Plus your speaker placement will make a big difference. Make sure you set the distance for your channels and always keep the center channel sitting even with the front left and right speakers. If you can angle the center channel up or down to face you, same goes for your rear's.
What I can say is that either one of these cards would be a big step up from onboard sound. Just my opinion. Sorry if thats not the solid answer to buy one or the other you are looking for, just my experience.
:)

I have a Audigy 2 ZS and Z-680's and I love it. Gaming sounds awesome to me, but I've only heard my onboard sound from before to compare it to. Also if you think Creatives drivers are crappy you could try these:

http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/

I have not tried them yet, but some people love them.

I'd go with the Audigy2.
I didn't really read all of the posts in this thread, but I thought I just toss in my 2 cents.

I've examined a few M-Audio cards and they do look just like PCI versions of onboard sound. This is not a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Having it on a card might isolate it a bit from MoBo interference, but it won't cure onboard's lackluster sound quality. So, I say: get the Audigy2. You can look back and you shouldn't have regrets with the Audigy2, but I'd expect the contrary with the M-Audio.

The M-audio is better than standard onboard sound IF you have decent speakers. In my opinion the M-audio is made more for the audiophiles who are gonna have their PC hooked up to there main sound system. It is supposed to be a very clean sounding card. It is really designed with music and DVD's in mind more than gameing.

That said I went for a audigy 2 ZS because my only concern was gaming and I doubt i'd be able to tell a difference on my Logitech Z-5300's. If your gonna do a lot of gaming and your just useing comp speakers then go for the audigy 2.

Ryan

Ryan T said:
The M-audio is better than standard onboard sound IF you have decent speakers. In my opinion the M-audio is made more for the audiophiles who are gonna have their PC hooked up to there main sound system. It is supposed to be a very clean sounding card. It is really designed with music and DVD's in mind more than gameing.

That said I went for a audigy 2 ZS because my only concern was gaming and I doubt i'd be able to tell a difference on my Logitech Z-5300's. If your gonna do a lot of gaming and your just useing comp speakers then go for the audigy 2.

Ryan

totally agreed. M-audio make some excellent audio cards for music, but their support for games is very limited. If you value the gaming more than the audio quality, go for the audigy2. If youvalue the music more, go for the m-audio.

I'm of the same opinion as Ryan T, but for games like Halo EAX2 should be wholly adequate. It should do most of your games well and do music very nicely.

Thanks for the insightful replies guys. That helps me out a lot. I'm leaning towards the Audigy 2 ZS at this point, I think. I hate going 'mainstream,' I feel like one of those Newegg reviews that says "man the audigy 2 is awesome i wouldnt get any uther soundcard cuz it sounds better than all of them and you're stupid if you say an others soundcards is better cuz this one is better and it rocks and oh yeah newegg always rocks too"

At least I feel better knowing I'm making an informed decision. :) Speaker upgrade would be really nice, but here at home and at college next year I don't know if I'd really be able to use Z-680's. Add the fact that I just spent about $200 on prom (it was alright...not spectacular...just alright).

Yeah, seriously. Screw taking girls to prom.

"You know, I really like you, and I'd love to take you to prom, but...there's these speakers, see, and...well..."

johan851 said:
Or would it even matter?

-I know this may sound harsh, but for somone planning on running Logitech Z-5300's you are concentrating too much on the sound card.

A set of good speakers would be worth your time. good speakers.

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.asp?cat=BFS&prod=HKB 6&sType=C
HKB6.jpg

I was in your situation 2 years ago. I purchased the best computer audio I could get my hands on. set of top of the line logitech. i wasnt satisfyed with the set so i bought a set of telex ev sonic speakers after a lot of research (yes, they were much clearer)

a few months ago i decided i would try my hand at home theater speakers. that particular set i linked above retails for 350$. expensive right?

not if you know about harmon kardons surplus outlet on ebay. i purchased the 350$ set for 90$. comparing them to the logitech and telex speakers is laughable. :p Ever read in a magazine that after 192Kbs no one can tell the difference? I've had listening sessions with freinds to see if they could tell the difference between 256kbs and 192.....suprisingly they could tell the difference in nearly every instance.

----------------------------------
back on topic.....i agree with the previous post about the M-audio. the clarity is unrivaled. will you be able to tell the difference using computer speakers? doubtful.

You should be able to use the z680's in college, unless the rules are terrible there. im sure you will be able to use them, and i know i will next year, and they will last you quite a while.

and btw the audigy 2zs supports EAX 4.0, if im not mistaken

Back