• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

School Network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rastion Signe

Lately when using the school computers, I've noticed a couple very annoying features that other students are changing on the computers. For instance I was typing a paper and whenever you pushed the "m" button it would minimize whatever program you were in. Preshing "f" would open the search utility. Really i'd love to just change the settings, but that is technically restricted. Unfortunately, our administrator NEVER fixes the computers. I don't know how much spyware i've deleted off them, one computer couldn't even open programs because it had no physical memory left, its really sad. I don't know if I can technically ask this, and if its not allowed don't answer... but how can I change hotkeys and stuff so people can actually use the computers? Thanks for the help.

BTW we are running 95 on almost all of the systems, its despicible, 98 on some. Novell network client....

This is OT but for some reason you reminded me of it. I know this kid that wrote an 80gig word file just to fill up the hard drive :) He got suspended for a week :D

People literally do that, its so annoying. I wish they would let me moderate, but no "I am a student, therfore I am irresponsible" If I keep working on the computers like I have been for the past couple days, I'll have put in more time then our administrator. Our administrator does stupid stuff too, I know he knows more then me thats for sure, but I'll catch up with him soon!

Maybe I can offer some help... First of all, dump Novell... lol j/k
Actually, what you could do is possibly restart the machine, unplug the keyboard and check for bent pins... I have had that happen to me a simple replug in worked fine for me.
Do you think you will upgrade to at least 2k or XP, cuz 95 is notorious for crashing and being stupid... 98 isn't much better...

School networks suck, thats why I only use the one at my school when absolutely necessary.

As for fixing the problems, it really depends on how well the admin set up the network. If a student was able to make those changes you should be able to change them back. I remember in my high school the netowrk admin's idea of securing things was just to delete the icons from the desktop.

My adivce would be to just leave the things alone. There is probably a better chance of getting blammed for doing if something goes wrong, even if it isn't your fault. Use a computer at home, or if you need to use the school network just find the best computer on it, and deal with its problems.

Dubbin1 said:
This is OT but for some reason you reminded me of it. I know this kid that wrote an 80gig word file just to fill up the hard drive :) He got suspended for a week :D

Ahhh, how stupidity (of the administration) astounds and amuzes me.

Yea, for some reason which is beyond me, our server space for the whole student/teacher body is roughly 10 gigs, its almost filled up, and they wonder why our server is unstable. Our admin could easily set a quota for all of our drives, most kids are saving pictures off the net, its quite retarded. I will say though that the admin isn't here enough to do any major fixes, which is definetaly the schools fault. They should just let me work on the computers, hell i'd do it for free i enjoy it so much. I think ill probably just stay away from them, and just use them for surfing the net, unless I can figure out how to reset the changes made :) Thanks for the help!

I've had 98 do the "press 'f' and Find pops up", "press 'e' and Explorer (@ My Computer) opens" thing to me before. It wasn't a system setting that was messed up as far as I could tell, just one of the millions of bugs that 98 has. A reboot always fixed it for me, hopefully it does for you....

School networks are notoriously horrible. Don't let it get to ya :) Just try to use it as little as possible and see if calmly complaining to somebody higher than the admin helps :D

JigPu

My high school network security was a joke many of my friends knew how to go around the SITE RESTRICTION proggy also one of my class mates knew how to change grades and he told the administration office and offered them that he would fix the problem for them but they refused so guess what's he is doing for work now?

He works for YAHOO Network Security making tons of money

One thing I don't like about my school's network is that they disabled regedit. :mad:

Rastion Signe said:
Lately when using the school computers, I've noticed a couple very annoying features that other students are changing on the computers. For instance I was typing a paper and whenever you pushed the "m" button it would minimize whatever program you were in. Preshing "f" would open the search utility. Really i'd love to just change the settings, but that is technically restricted. Unfortunately, our administrator NEVER fixes the computers. I don't know how much spyware i've deleted off them, one computer couldn't even open programs because it had no physical memory left, its really sad. I don't know if I can technically ask this, and if its not allowed don't answer... but how can I change hotkeys and stuff so people can actually use the computers? Thanks for the help.

Check that the "winkey" on the keyboard isnt' jammed in, as WINKEY+F will open the find dialog, WINKEY+M will minimize everything, etc.

Back