• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Emergency-Please help--no boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hughhefner

Playboy Wannabee
I can't believe this happened AGAIN!!!!!!

System was working just fine for 2 weeks , made a bios change to up the fsb to 235--no boot. So I hit the reset button to try to lower the fsb back to 230, no boot. Cleared the cmos, got into bios and reset everything back to NORMAL -unoverclocked settings, 200 fsb 10 multiplier 1.75V on a Mobile barton.

No matter what I do the hard drive DOES NOT BOOT----this happened to me last month was a different hard drive in the same system, came up with "error loading operatiing system."

Bios shows thw 120gb western digital drive, Win xp can reformat it, Western digital utilities can format it, windows setup starts up, loads programs then NO BOOT!!!!

DFI Ultra infinity mobo, Antec true control 550W ps, rails are ROCK SOLID via multimeter readings, 512mb of Mushkin Black level2, Thermalright sp97 with 92mm Volcano, Geforce4 ti 4800SE

No boot--just SITS with an OK

Frustation to the max!!!!

When you cleared the CMOS, did the hard drive get set back to CHS or something instead of LBA?

Yeah, no problem dude. You're lucky that I've only had this board about 4 days, and the exact same thing happened to me an hour before I saw your post. :)

Its a "feature" of the board, defaulting to CHS instead of Auto or LBA.
One idea is to save the default settings with hdd set to LBA/Auto in the cmos reloaded, then use this to load defaults. IIRC from the 1/31 beta bios onwards the default is set to auto on a cmos clear.

OK i'm having the same problem. I am doing a new install of win2k on a partitioned drive. To clear the old OS I deleted the "C" partition the made a new partition "C" and formated it with the 2k install disk booted from the cd rom. I switched to lba and now it wont get past

Verifying DMI Pool Data .................
backup cmos ... OK!

This drive was working fine a month ago in another rig. It is seen in the bios and is set to lba. Right now I have the bios set to
first boot = hdd0
2nd boot = cd rom
3rd boot = usb hdd

The OS install proggie loads the files and checks the drive then restarts the computer but it stall as stated above. Help guys I'm stuck and losing spots fast in the folding stats. I need this rig running.

If you started out with the drive on CHS or Auto, then it probably won't work set to LBA. That's my guess, anyway. See if it'll work on CHS (or whatever you had it on), and if it doesn't, then reformat and reinstall with it set to LBA.

Back