• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XBOX freeze

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stratcatprowlin

Any one know what the main reasons for a game to freeze on the XBOX?

First off,The XBOX and games are brand new and clean.

While playing project gotham 2,the game froze 3 times in an hour.
The sound kept going but the picture froze.

Could it be like with video cards,It was overheating? It is placed in a well ventilated area.

So far its just that game though.

Has that happened to anyone else?

The actual laser could be dirty but a lot of times Ive heard of drives just going bad because they are so crappily built, I believe it was the Samsung drives that were the only ones with no problems thus far. It seems that the laser of the drives gets disaligned and then can't read the CD, or something like that.

That is weird. My friend's 'box is not well ventilated at all, and it's never overheated. Maybe you got a defective one. See if you can exchange it. The only problem he's ever had was one time the mod chip came loose and had to be reseated. Well, modded Halo jiggers itself from time to time, but that's to be expected.

Tatuya said:
The actual laser could be dirty but a lot of times Ive heard of drives just going bad because they are so crappily built, I believe it was the Samsung drives that were the only ones with no problems thus far. It seems that the laser of the drives gets disaligned and then can't read the CD, or something like that.

Its strange you'd say that, because the Xbox has widely been considered the most reliable of all the consoles.

I've played PGR2 for hours on end and never experienced this, and if it were the optical drive, it wouldn't be just one game doing it. Take it back and get a new Xbox.

Alacritan said:

Its strange you'd say that, because the Xbox has widely been considered the most reliable of all the consoles.

They've gone through three different drive models because of what? the previous two were defective and went bad after a few months of play.

It's highly possible that it's the disk itself too. I'd try getting a replacement for the game before returning your Xbox.
The disk doesn't have to look dirty for it to have all kinds of problems that will cause the kinds of symptoms you're experiencing. I used to work for Technicolor (which lo and behold is a Thomson company) actually replicating DVD's and Xbox games so I at least know a little bit about it ;)

Tatuya said:

They've gone through three different drive models because of what? the previous two were defective and went bad after a few months of play.

So have they switched drives recently? I mean, two years into production, I don't think they're still switching drives, if they went bad after only a few months. He just bought this one, so unless they're still having problems, which until now I never heard of, there isn't any reason for it to not be working.

But yeah, the DVD media is potential problem. I've had CDs that didn't play correctly with no visible damage. Planetside had a severe problem with this at launch I believe. They had to Fedex CDs to customers who got bad copies because they couldn't even install the game.

Can you hear or feel the fan working inside of it? If not, there is your problem. If that isnt it then it is probably a bad dvd-rom drive. Either way, a return it is for you.

my gamecube has frozen 3 times since i got it as well, the fans are working and everything, the laser/games are clean. what can it be ? still heartor ?

ManOman said:
It's highly possible that it's the disk itself too. I'd try getting a replacement for the game before returning your Xbox.
The disk doesn't have to look dirty for it to have all kinds of problems that will cause the kinds of symptoms you're experiencing. I used to work for Technicolor (which lo and behold is a Thomson company) actually replicating DVD's and Xbox games so I at least know a little bit about it ;)

Cool! good point. Ill do that.

DDR-PIII said:
my gamecube has frozen 3 times since i got it as well, the fans are working and everything, the laser/games are clean. what can it be ? still heartor ?

Mine's never frozen, and I keep it pretty much sandwiched between boxes and shelves.

You might just have a defective Xbox. Your best bet would be to return it for a replacement, I think. If it's well ventalated and clean, it shouldn't freeze.

Oni said:

Mine's never frozen, and I keep it pretty much sandwiched between boxes and shelves.

You might just have a defective Xbox. Your best bet would be to return it for a replacement, I think. If it's well ventalated and clean, it shouldn't freeze.
I guess that was pretty much the same point that I was trying to make when I posted in this thread earlier. I know that if it was me and my money I wouldnt be taking any chances, cause with my luck as soon as the warrentee ran out the darned thing would just stay frozen lol. It could just be the game, and it may be worth a shot to just try another PGR2 game and see. But if it does it still then it is either bad coding on the game, or you need a new Xbox.

TUK101 said:
It could just be the game, and it may be worth a shot to just try another PGR2 game and see. But if it does it still then it is either bad coding on the game, or you need a new Xbox.

Not necessarily, there are two halves to the disk, and if the side that is giving the problems is still giving problems on another disk of the same game then it could be that specific cut of the disks stamper. I know when Matrix: Reloaded first came out, I wasn't able to play disk 2 on my player. Brought it back to Blockbuster 3 times. I noticed that all three of the previous disks were a cut 8 so I made sure that the last one wasn't and it played fine :)

Back