• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Xp utlize multithreading for A64?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Windows XP 64 beta probably does but hey I'm not sure
my friend's 64 didn't work well with XP or 2k pro so he had to run 98se

XP is a multi_threaded OS but the A64 doesn't have SMT or any type of multi_threading like HyperThreading like the P4.

i have a dual athlon rig, and that is real multi_threading, 2 cpu's, 2 threads at once,

Does the opteron have hardware multithreading like the P4? I was of the contrary belief. (They support SMP, but there's no SMT on a single chip; i.e., number of threads that can be executed simultaneously = #of processors, as opposed to new Xeons, where number of simultaneous threads = 2 x #of processors).

-- Paul

Thanks for the links.

Alas, I see no mention of multithreading. The closest I see is:

"Allows simultaneous, high-performance 32-bit and 64-bit computing, offering end-users an easy, compelling and affordable means to take advantage of tomorrow’s emerging applications."

But all that means is that it can run 32-bit and 64-bit applications at the "same time" in the traditional sense of "same time": by fast task switching. It doesn't have to switch into a "64-bit mode" when running 64-bit apps and not run 32-bit apps.

Thanks for putting up with my braindead questions. ;) -- Paul

Back