• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Good PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Do whatever you can to eliminate the Duron and your golden, I'm not a huge soltek fan but it looks like it has the relevent specs, the durun however, you'd be better off with any athlon XP, see if you can find an 1800+ theyre fairly cheap.

I agree, hack the Duron. 1800+ isn't a bad candidate (hey, that's what I run!).

2400 XP-M's are low in price too, would probably cost you 15-20 pounds more. (I wish I new how to make the pound sign).

BTW, what games are you looking to play? Don't want to spend $$ on a machine that you'll loath playing.

Definetly ditch the Duron even a regular XP will serve you better. If you are a gamer definetly grab another stick of RAM as well, most games eat up 256 MB and sometimes even 512MB or anything lower than a GB i.e. BF:V & Farcry

I have a soltek nforce with the IGP, overclocking was a PITA :bang head: and the graphics are the same as a MX440 card (I eventually stuck a 9600pro in it), not very good things like UT2K or FarCry. I should have bought another NF7 but I read a bunch of reviews that said it was a good overclocking board. I got sick of it not posting with even a minor overclock and set it back to stock and threw it in my server with a gig of geil ram. It has run that way for a while without any problems. I would get an MSI if you want the IGP. I agree on ditching the duron, I love my 1700, not as much as my 2500 but still for the money you cant beat it.

Thank You.

I am not a gamer myself: it is for a friend. I would rather keep the Duron as it is appallingly cheap: £25 (Less than the chipboard.).

Could a duron do games acceptably? (It is probably going to be used for a game more like Mafia (2002) than Farcry (2004.).).

Is 512MB DDR that necessary or would it handle most games that need for average specifications?

Back