• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Faluty PSU? I kno

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prankstar008

I was using my comp just lie normal. All I was doing was surfing the web. No games, nothing in my optical drives, when my cold cathod starts to flicker. I look more clocly into my case and the cpu fan is starting and stopping!!!!!!!! Off went the power before you can say an explicitive of your choice. After I calmed down, I thought I might have been seeing things so I rebooted the computer (doh!) and after about 2 min the same thing happened except this time I had MBM5 dashboard open to check the rails of my PSU. While everything was ghoing nuts the rails were as solid as ever!! Whats wrong!

NOTE: 3 days ago I re-routed all my power cables and unpluged and re pluged almost all the power cables (including the 2 that supply power to the MOBO) Im 99% sure the PSU is powerful enough (see sig) because I've had it for about a month now and ran the computer under load for long periods of time including prome95 and games such as FarCry and Counter-Strike. HELP!!! PLEASE!!! This is my brand new main rig that took 2 years to save for!

Look closely at the ATX connecter on the PSU and mainboard be sure there not scorched. Unhook all unnesessary components and see it if still happens..

It is safe to keep turning it on to test it?

EDIT: the culprit was the cold cathode! The inverter acctualy caught flames. after unpluging the cathode (keep in mind this is a high end $8 cathode tube) the machine ran just fine for 10 min. While at my power supply's website i DID learn that my psu has smart fans in it....such a deal

Last edited:
Back