• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping a sp-94

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magick_man

Forum Magician
La pping a sp-94

like i said would i really gain anything from lapping a sp-94 and if so would it be worth it?
("worth it" being more than 1°c drop)
and if i do that i should prolly go further on my p4

Thnx, ~Magick_Man~

*edit* i screwed up the title, oh well it is done now

afaik the sp-94 already comes with a near mirror finish, so lapping it wouldnt give better temps.. if your P4 IHS isnt flat, maybe lapping that would improve temps...

unless I am mistaken, its the heatspreader thats on top of the p4, the metal thing you see when you look at the processor, also make sure to apply your TIM (thermal paste) properly. Whats IHS stand for? Integrated Heat Spreader???

thnx eobard

sewerbeing, i already had a go at lapping the cpu but i didnt know how far i could go so i stopped before i got it completely flat
oh welll

thnx, ~Magick_Man~

i lapped my 2.8C and my SP-94. I lapped my heatsink with 400 grit until the top was completely copper color and then went thru grits 600-800-1000-1200-1500 and 2000 until it was a mirror finish. For the heatsink I just kept going through the grits until it was flat and shiny. I noticed a temperature drop of about 1 degree difference in cpu from case. So if the case temp was 30 and cpu was 40 before and there was a 10 degree difference between cpu and case temps, then after lapping it would be case 30 and cpu 39 with a 9 degree difference in temperature. Hope that helps.

yeah that helps,
although i was kinda hoping for a little more difference in temps but u gotta take what you can get.
i think i just might make a trip down to home depot tomorrow and get some super-fine sandpaper and sand away

the first time i lapped my cpu i did it in class everyone was freaking out and saying that i was gonna break it. :p

Thnx, ~Magick_Man~

BTW do you think it would be nessecary to go all the way to 2000 grit to get the mirror finish or could you stop like at 1500

Thnx, ~Magick_Man~

i've heard u can stop at 600.
i've heard u can stop at 1000.
personally i just did it til 2000 because i was bored. unless u like looking at yourself in your heatsink and cpu then i probably wouldn't go til 2000. as long as the surface is flat then you will be good.

btw why do you have your 2.4C at 2.9? my 2.4C hit 3.15 no problem with stock heatsink and fan.

that is all i really wanted to do right now
one of these days ill try and ramp it up more
i think ill prolly do 600-1000-1500
idunno well see

Thnx, ~Magick_Man~

ok so i went and got sandpaper but the problew was they only had 600 and 1500 (oh well)
i got it and i came home and lapped till they were flat but the thing is now they are all ugly
the 1500 grit paper was not enough to take out the scratches from them.
what grit should i use for this?

Thnx, ~Magick_Man~

Autoparts stores like Advance and Autozone have combination packs of sandpaper in the "paint and body" section which contain 320, 400, 600 and 800 I believe. Then you can also buy individual packs for 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit. I usually stop at 800, tho I have gone all the way to 2000 for the mirror look.

IMO: dont use a polish paste. the idea of thermal compound (AS5 etc) is to fill in the REALLY small grooves that almost any (metal) surface has. now if those are full of polishing paste rather than the AS5...

PS my SP-97 (avatar) is @ 1500 grit

GOOD LUCK

DO NOT use polising paste the point of lapping is to
1) get the heatsink flat
2) make the smallest scratches in it posiblle

most of us won't be able to improve on #1 on a good heatsink by lapping on glass we hope to improve #2 without hurting #1

posishing compund will make the heasink shinny but will leave little bits of grease and grit in the tiny scratches of the heatsink

this stuff can not possiblly be as good a conductor of heat as as5

and also rubbing with a rag can only make the heatsink less flat

DO NOT use polising paste

Back