• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI Infinity or Lanparty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yazz88

Right now i have a nf7-s. the highest i can get the FSB is 230 @ 2.9v. im tired of this boards damn voltage fluctuations which no doubt are hindering my oc potential. ive read the DFI offerings are more stable. which is better and why....the inifinity or lanparty?

They're the same deal. The infinity is a straight on overclocking motherboard with no glitzy crap on it. The lanparty is the same deal with more show. It's your choice. If you want to spill an extra $50 for glowy pci slots then go for it.

Do you need the kitchen sink? Go lanparty. Otherwise the infinity will hook you up with some nice speeds. I am wary of DFI still, to many cold boot and warm boot deaths when OCing. I know people have had good luck with them, but I have read too many horror stories.

Actually the Inf. is a rev A...while the LP is a rev B...which supposedly OC's better then the rev A's...

The infinity A essentially the same pcb as the lanparty B. The Lanparty A should be avoided. :D

Also if your abit nf7-s is already running at 230 fsb you're not going to get much greater performance if any with the dfi's. Not worth the upgrade IMO. Also the sata/raid controller on the nf7-s (sil3112) performs better than the dfi sata/raid controller (sil3114) for now. The dfi nf2 user base is maturing and there is rumor of a new revision coming out so maybe you should wait a bit before upgrading.

glock19owner said:
Actually the Inf. is a rev A...while the LP is a rev B...which supposedly OC's better then the rev A's...

So the lanparty would be a better OCer? I am getting ready to purchase one of the two, and am a bit confused.

No, the rev B lanparty is the same as the rev A infinity. The infinity jsut has less fancy bits...

dreIU said:

So the lanparty would be a better OCer? I am getting ready to purchase one of the two, and am a bit confused.

Anyone that owns one (infinity) will probably know the revisions... for infinity, theres the A and the A+. The A+ is equvilant to a B pretty much. for the LP, theres A and B. for the LP, the A does NOT have mounting holes, B does. the A+ infinity is only a few slight changes, no hardware chages AFAIK (aside from caps, mosfets, etc).

I had an infinity that hit 240FSB. I think it was either the chip or the mobo that stopped at 240. But I used the same chip in a NF7-s with the same ram and volts. I only hit the NF7 @ 225. Go figure.

PS. I used pc4000 ram.

The infinity and the lanparty are the same exact PCB; the difference is that the lanparty has 2 enternet ports as opposed to the infinity's one. They both overclock exactly the same; however, there is some speculation that the lp b has slightly more stable voltages over the infinity. As of right now DFI has no plans to release a newer lp/infinity based on the NF2 400gb, so if you really want to try dfi give it a shot. I've had amazing results with mine while my nf7 was a crapshoot (though it was one of those newer ones and the new ones don't o/c well at all). Anyway, the dfi has a plethora of voltage and mem options that should allow you to squeeze every bit of juice out of your system. And once you flash to a beta bios with agp latency lock your system will be just as fast as it was on the nf7-s clock for clock.

First off...have you checked the fluctuating voltages with a multimeter? Motherboard sensors absolutely suck for reading voltages.

I've switched after a run of four bad NF7-S's to an Infinity, and I'm enjoying it so far. They're both pretty good boards. If the NF7-S allowed higher VDD and vDIMM options, it would be a better overclocker. But it doesn't. So...it's a bit of a toss up. The NF7-S will usually produce a higher stable CPU clock, while the Infinity will usually produce a much higher FSB.

DFI boards can get higher fsb's most of the time, assuming your proc can handle it. DFI's can get 250 fsb stock, while most new nf7-s's seem to need pin mod, vdd, and vbt do to that kind of high fsb.

I don't think you would get a much higher max oc, but higher fsb oc, meaning if 230 fsb is your limit on an nf7-s with the 11 multi, and it is the limit with the 9 multi, and the 11.5 won't boot any faster than 220 your max limit could be somewhere around 2530, but with the DFI board you might be able to do 10*250. These are all just random numbers I made up, and might be inconsistent with oc'ing results you have seen, but you get the idea.

I have heard people say that the nf7-s r2 actually performs a little better than the dfi boards clock for clock, but I haven't seen any h2h myself. With the dfi board's cpc (which you can get on the nf7's with ticta's modded bios), the additional memory timing options, higher stock fsb speeds, and vdim using 5v rail versus the 3.3v rail on the nf7-s many people perfer the dfi boards, but if you are already getting 230 fsb on an nf7 you have already purchased you should just stick with it. I bought my nf7-s r2 before the new dfi boards were out, so I am doing vdd, vbt, vdim, pin mod, nb/sb/mosfet cooling mods, which seem to give the nf7's a big boost in max fsb and overall oc, and in some cases push it past many dfi's.

Also, the dfi boards are a good bit more expensive aren't they? If I was just gettign a socket A cpu I wouldn't spend the extra.

The DFI Lan partys and Infantys are the same. Lan party just comes with lots and lots of extra crap, and right I am regretting buying it over the regular board. I have had my Corsair PC3200XMS up to 245FSB 3d stable and prime, but i was pumping 3.3volts through my memory. This was with 11/2/2/2/2 timmings. When running higher max O/Cs the board has cold boot issues. Their is a new bios that is supposed to fix many issues, but ppl who have been flashing have been reporting dead bios chips afterwards. When they work, they work well. Personally I have not had any problems with my board. these boards are just as picky as the Abit boards are. I would wait for the next revision of this board. Rummored is that it will have insane cpu voltcores, mabey higher mem voltage, and it should resolve the current issues.

Vengance_01 said:
I would wait for the next revision of this board. Rummored is that it will have insane cpu voltcores, mabey higher mem voltage, and it should resolve the current issues.

Wow, they are gonna release another socket A board?

If you were gonna do any waiting, and were gonna spend $100+ on a mobo it might be more worth your while to get an a64...but maybe not :D

johan851 said:
First off...have you checked the fluctuating voltages with a multimeter? Motherboard sensors absolutely suck for reading voltages.

I'

how does one check vcore voltage with multimeter?

I got some adata ram and now im stable @ 240x11. my timings are very slow though. im think im gonna get some 3700eb.

That eb seems nice, but I haven't good things from it with nforce2 mobos, but they results I was seeing people were trying cas 2.5 and pretty low volts. Seems like 3-2-2 helps a good bit compared to 2.5-2-2, and there is basically 0 difference in performance.

When the ocz employees were showing the eb off over at xtreme they had some damn nice #'s, I think like over 240 fsb with 2.5-2-2 with only 3v.

I am gonna pick some up to test on an a64 rig I am building for a friend this summer.

Back