• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barely able to overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myhre

This is so sad...I have a 2.8 800fsb p4 w/ D1 and I can't get my ext freq above 230...no matter what I do...I've even tried lowering the ram to 5/4, upping the vcore to 1.65 and the ddr voltage to 2.85...nothing works....I'm running a p4p800 deluxe with 2x512 pc3200 in dual channel. Also running this in a watercooled system so temps are not a problem, I rarely get above 33C...any suggestions???

did you lock your PCI/AGP..if not take it off auto and set it to 33/66 or however its listed with those numbers.....how r ur temps???

Myhre said:
This is so sad...I have a 2.8 800fsb p4 w/ D1 and I can't get my ext freq above 230...no matter what I do...I've even tried lowering the ram to 5/4, upping the vcore to 1.65 and the ddr voltage to 2.85...nothing works....I'm running a p4p800 deluxe with 2x512 pc3200 in dual channel. Also running this in a watercooled system so temps are not a problem, I rarely get above 33C...any suggestions???

Some chips are not going to clock far, no matter what.
Some might not respond at all--or might not post-- with higher voltages.

You're getting 400 mhz overclock. Not exactly a great o/c, but it could be worse.

The good 2.8C's can hit 3.5...

Do you have a way to get a second chip? Maybe you simply weren't lucky this time...

Be careful with the chipset voltage. It may make things more stable but sometimes could cause problems. Also try changing the agp aperture too.

Sophisticated said:
did you lock your PCI/AGP..if not take it off auto and set it to 33/66 or however its listed with those numbers.....how r ur temps???

what he said *points up*

If that isnt the problem, try a different CPU if possible..

For a start, what is your configuration?
What brand of memory, mobo, etc are you using?

What about BIOS settings?
(as mentioned, voltage, AGP/PCI lock, etc).

Is the cooling seated and installed properly?

If you checked everything else...Well I guess its bad luck...Overclocking is a bit of "luck of the draw" sometimes.

Okay here's my complete system spec on this comp. P42.8 800fsb, Asus P4P800-Deluxe mb, 2x512mb pc3200 corsair, 9800xt vid, 450w antec psu. Also running a swiftech watercooling setup on my cpu and vid card, as well as a swiftech MX-159-P on my chipset. My temps rarely go above 33C no matter what, since I'm using a fair sized radiator and pretty decent water pump(MCP600). I'm starting to wonder if I just got a bad chip. I've always been pretty heavy into modding and hardware, and mid range into Overclocking. I've had really good success in the past on some of my other systems. But on this 2.8 I'm just not being able to push it past 230x4 FSB. I know 400mhz is better than nothing, but it's not acceptable when I'm running a high end watercooled system. I'm guessing I might need to look into a different chip.

One of my early systems

The Kit I usually use

You can scroll down on the second link, they used my system as an example, woot!

my 2.8C is at 240 FSB right now with a sp-94 and zalman 92mm fan. temps high low 40's at load and low 30's at idle. using an asus p4p800 mobo with 1.55 vcore, 2.75 vdimm and 1.70. spread spectrum off with agp lock on. turbo setting standard with everything else auto(so basically all turbo options disabled). hope that helps. oh yeh. using apacer pc3200 cas 3 with 5:4 ratio.

Back