• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well It's Happening- DDR2 is for sale right now.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kunaak

with INtels Grantsadle and such coming quick, and LGA775 also, and rumours of DDR2 versions of A64's coming around, DDR2 looks like it making its first creep into the retail market.

although in a small obscure little way, no publicity, no "hey were the first to the market", just on crucials website here.

EXPENSIVE is all I can say.
no, you probably can't use it in a Non-DDR2 board, so I wouldn't think about getting it yet, untill someone hears if you can or can't use it in a plain DDR board.

but it's here-
kinda.
sneaking onto the market.

does this mean Intel or AMD are about to lauch something soon relating to DDR2?

http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodule.asp?module=DDR2+PC2-4300&Attrib=Package&cat=RAM

It says near the bottom of that paragraph that the notch in the
stick is more towards the center? so it looks as if it wont even
fit in present boards... and 240 pin..

Different number of pins, different voltage and differenet bus operation, this stuff WONT fit old boards

AMD won't have anything for it. Motherboards with DDR2 support for Intel LGA775 processors will appear at the same time as it's launch. Intel's launch is expected to be after AMD's Socket 939 introduction, which is expected to be around the beginning of June. Though Intel could, feasibly, push up a launch date to be before AMD.

Intel's i925X, i915P, i915G, and i915GV will support DDR2. The i925X chipset will not have support for DDR, the others will.

Well its designed to run at a lower voltage and eventually run faster. I'd really like to se the fb dimms out sometime soon,that sounds like it would give ddr2 an advantage over ddr. Fb is a fully buffered dimm you can read more at the following links
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15189
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15214

Ddr 2 as it stands right now is worse thatn ddr1 as far a sperformance goes. The latencies are horrible and a stick cost 2-3x as much as a normal ddr stick does. Once they hit sppeds of ddr667 then it will become a viable upgrade option but until then stick with the normal ddr.

Ad Rock said:
Those prices are insane :eek: . It says 1.8 volts that seems really low to me consider people have their BH-5 at 3.6.

That's amazing! I've never seen any speed or timing improvement with my 2x512 Dual Channel BH-5s above 2.9Vdimm

Hoot

The pricing is just like everything else when it's newly released.

I paid $300 for a single 256Mb stick of PC133 many years ago. At the time, a 256Mb stick was what a 1Gb stick is today (being really big for a single stick).

But, as others have said, DDR2 will be slightly worse than DDR1 at launch. Patience.

Hopefully these will allow some tweaking of timings at default 533MHz. The standard timings on DDR2 at 533MHz at present are 4-4-4-12 :rolleyes:

I honestly cant see myself "upgrading" to this stuff for a long time.

looks good going to pick some up in the near future once new mobo's are out i'll let you know how it goes

reef said:
Hopefully these will allow some tweaking of timings at default 533MHz. The standard timings on DDR2 at 533MHz at present are 4-4-4-12 :rolleyes:

I honestly cant see myself "upgrading" to this stuff for a long time.

You know theres a trade off between latency and speed, the speed of ddr2 will be soo great in the future that latency will matter less and less , still it will cost a arm + a leg + $$$$ for a intel rig (like it allready doesnt , jk).

SK8 said:

You know theres a trade off between latency and speed, the speed of ddr2 will be soo great in the future that latency will matter less and less , still it will cost a arm + a leg + $$$$ for a intel rig (like it allready doesnt , jk).

True, and if Tejas were still being produced it would have made good sense to get this stuff as the P4 architecture has always thrived on bandwidth to keep its huge pipeline full, more than low-latency.

However, with Intel canning Tejas and going to the Pentium M based off the P3 core (short pipeline like the Athlon) Latency could become increasingly important, as the bandwidth DDR2 provides will most likely go unused. The high latency could harm more than help.

reef said:
True, and if Tejas were still being produced it would have made good sense to get this stuff as the P4 architecture has always thrived on bandwidth to keep its huge pipeline full, more than low-latency.

However, with Intel canning Tejas and going to the Pentium M based off the P3 core (short pipeline like the Athlon) Latency could become increasingly important, as the bandwidth DDR2 provides will most likely go unused. The high latency could harm more than help.

DDR2 will mature with time, and yields will improve. One will see how Pentium-M line CPU's like DDR2 with the upcoming 'Alviso' (i915-PM) chipset, which is meant for Dothan CPU's in laptops. Notebook makers will be using DDR2-533 with a CPU with only a 533MHz FSB.

Back