• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DD RBX an Maze 4 fittings 1/2 inch barb ? NPT-orrafice ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
title a little cofusing, please state as question for more help

I know the barbs they used were 1/4"npt, but I think that they have some sort of O-ring barbs from the latest pictures.

Jon

I was wondering if I were to buy a DD block just how big a fitting I could crowd into the top , also the size of the through hole ? sorry about the confusion I thought I was clear and aparentlly I was'nt and I'm afraid that It won't be the last the way my poor twisted brain functions lol

the threads on the Maze4 and RBX are the same = 1/4"NPT (1/2"OD).

Jon is right, they have new O-Ring barbs on their new products. The latest TBX and Maze4 Chipset block samples that I received both have 9/32" threads for chrome barbs w/ O-Rings ( just like the D-Tek chrome barbs.)

Since the inside diameter (ID) of 1/4"NPT pipe thread is 3/8", you don't see any performance benefit by using any barbs other than 1/2"OD (3/8"ID). Meaning even if you can find 1/4"NPT by 5/8"OD barbs, the base ID will still be 3/8". I believe Cathar found some metal 1/2"OD barbs that have thin walls, with slighly larger IDs than 3/8".

BTW if you're after an RBX block, you can contact DD directly, and I'm pretty sure if you ask them nicely, they don't mind tapping larger 9/32" holes to their water block...

or wait a little while and get a White Water, which already has 9/32" threads. The new revision WWs will be ready soon ;)

Last edited:
dacooltech said:
the threads on the Maze4 and RBX are the same = 1/4"NPT (1/2"OD).

Jon is right, they have new O-Ring barbs on their new products. The latest TBX and Maze4 Chipset block samples that I received both have 9/32" threads for chrome barbs w/ O-Rings ( just like the D-Tek chrome barbs.)

Since the inside diameter (ID) of 1/4"NPT pipe thread is 3/8", you don't see any performance benefit by using any barbs other than 1/2"OD (3/8"ID). Meaning even if you can find 1/4"NPT by 5/8"OD barbs, the base ID will still be 3/8". I believe Cathar found some metal 1/2"OD barbs that have thin walls, with slighly larger IDs than 3/8".

BTW if you're after an RBX block, you can contact DD directly, and I'm pretty sure if you ask them nicely, they don't mind tapping larger 9/32" holes to their water block...

or wait a little while and get a White Water, which already has 9/32" threads. The new revision WWs will be ready soon ;)

i'm afraid the new whitewaters have changed to 1/4" NPT (like their rads)...... so you'd need a second hand one....

quite a bit of variation in the ID of 1/2" OD barbs.....
barbs_5.jpg

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=54459&page=1&pp=20

I knew that barb come with different size holes but the variation is larger than I had ever thought thanks for all the info guys

Back