• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there an easy way to translate TI83+ BASIC to ASM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

Hi everyone, last year we had a HORRIBLE chemistry teacher, and in short, i took EVERY LAST math equaision we did in that class and programmed my TI 83+ to solve, AND show the work for each problem. Including Stoichiometry. So im pretty proud of this thing, only the code is quite lengthy. Is there some sort of translator or somethng i can get for it? Id actually like to sell it or something ive made quite a buck off of stupid people on finals day. Thanks everyone.

I've never really found any tools to convert from one programming lanuage to another, but is this a calculator? If so, does it even hook up to a computer?

Yes it does hook up to the computer.

#####

Your Calculator Program is in Basic ? compiled to run on a TI 83+ ?

if so could you not compile it for other CHips?
I know you can't convert low level code from onemachine to another machine becuase it is just that low level code, talking to each specific register.
you might have to write the entire thing again for a PC,

yea it runs on the calc....the BASIC is so easy....ive done it on the computer.....its just open source and all. Id love for it to be ASM so no one can mess with it plus it being alot smaller...

it wont get any smaller, I bet the tBasic is just a nice enviroment writing almost strait ASM, since a Calc would not have all the extra space to put all sorts of code layers.

and who said you can't mess with ASM code? its just as easy to Mess with as any C or C++ Program except you don't have to decompile it to ASM to mess with is since it is already there.

If you still have the manual that came with your TI-83+, Chapter 16 talks about how to compile a program into assembly. If not, it's probably on TI's website.

However, I personally would reconsider distributing it in assembled form if your only reason is to make the program less maintainable. Though I'm not sure about size benefits, the manual does mention that assembled programs run faster. But, based on your description of the program, it doesn't sound computationally expensive anyway.

haha no its not expensive...but people slack off lilke crazy, and theyre rich little snobs....i gladly distribute it to friends and SMART people...i figure if they offer me money in the first place hey why not?

The ASM games for the TI are WAY smaller and do WAY more. The language just looks more confusing than C++ which i FINALLY understand. Ill dig around im sure i have the manual somewhere around here..

ASM IS more confusing then C++

C++ is a Language made to be understandable, using real words, to make commands,

If then is compiled into ASM and the real words get turned into the commands of ASM, normally being much more bloated then required since it can't complie nearly as clean as one could write a program using strain ASM, with ASM you have to actually know were you want to store data in and how you want to move it from register 1 to register 2, and into memory and so one and so forth. its definaty the hardest thing to do in todays programming world

yup...gone over the levels of programming in EVERY class ive taken...only thing harder, if not impossible is binary....

Cant be THAT hard if people make things like MirageOS, ION, and those complicated games for it.

MadSkillzMan said:
haha no its not expensive...but people slack off lilke crazy, and theyre rich little snobs....i gladly distribute it to friends and SMART people...i figure if they offer me money in the first place hey why not?

You misunderstood what I said. By "computationally expensive," I was refering to operations that take a lot of computer (or in this case, calculator) time to complete, not money ;)

Anyway, even if the assmebled programs run faster and do more, that doesn't make them the best route to go with every program. After all, your program seems to work fine for you now, and it's not assembled. Compiliing them has a major disadvantage - they can no longer be read in their orginal source form, which it makes them very difficult to maintain or change later on. Though your program may be good, it surely isn't perfect: someone may want to add a new type of problem it can solve, or fix a subtle bug. Assembled programs do not allow for this kind of flexbility.

Im aware of that. I have the TI83+ USB graphlink. So i have it on backup whenever need be. I beleive im giong to submit it to TIcalc.org since people have requested something similar to it.

Yea i was interested in not being able to change the code. I know how to hide it and protect it in mirage...i figured out that if you add a :' then the description at the first line, mirage can detect it. It can then be runned as archived, but after awhile it needs more memory, and creates a copy of itself called Z,1. in the ram

I have a screen that basically gives credit to me, and my freinds whom helped me test it and work the minor bugs out. I also have email, AIM, and ICQ ID's on there if there are any requests or bugs they find. Of corse i then add people to the list whom helped me.

Some people try to get smart and delete this screen, since i have it programmed to hang..and show the credit...only by aliases until we graduate though...and they end up messin up everything and blamming me...Or i get these wanna be programmers who put the wrong syntax in or dont understand Logical operators, and add some stupid equasion that gets a COMPLETELY wrong answer...then act like i did it.

Yea your right i did misunderstand, thanks for clearing that up. Compiling to ASM on a computer cant be that bad can it?

Hey im just trying to completely preserve my master work here before i graduate. That way my brother can clean up without any hassles.

if i could ever understand ASM i would definently take every advantage of it. Now its all text based and slow. Id love to simplify all the many menus and make like one main screen where the users could use the arrow keys to click on text or something....then have the equasions with work show up on one organized screen, rather screen per step, and that uses a ton of OUTPUT statements...

THanks for the info so far everyone ...

You've got lots of reasons for using ASM, so you might want try porting your program. Here's a link to some information about the assmebly language used by these kinds of calculators:
http://education.ti.com/us/product/tech/83/features/asm.html

Beware though, that stuff seems rather technical, and you might have trouble with it if you've never used any assembly languages before (I was lost in their example program, desptie the many comments).

Also, even if your program is in assembled form, it can still be changed. I'm not sure about the details of how the calculators work, but changing string literals (like your name on the credits screen, for example) on a compiled x86 binary can be as simple as loading the executable in a hex editor and changing the letters.

Anyway, good luck. :)

hah...i did the same thing

You can make things non-editable using a program called calc-sys. It'll still be basic, but nobody will be able to edit the sources without either a calculator-computer cable or calcsys.

You forget one thing, what's to prevent you from selling it to one person, and him giving it to another? I found some program online that gets the id number and then you could do some sort of registration with that.

Back