• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External fan control...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MiseryQ

This has probably been covered before but I got real happy with myself after getting this to work just right...

I was at the local cyber-café last night and read the "Chrome Goat" thread... In it he mentioned he was going to use PWM to control fan speed... I've had a Velleman V-K8004 DC to PWM kit in the closet that I assembled 5 years ago but never used...

I literally rushed home and wired it up...
I've had two 120mm Panaflows sandwiching a heater core driven by a R.S. 12 1500mA convertor for about a year... This set-up is loud...

Hooking the V-K8004s input to the Antec PSs fan output did'nt work very well... Nor did using the Soyo hardware monitor software and the "CHAFAN" connector...
Using SmartFan4.11 and the "CHAFAN" my computer is now the quietest in the house at idle and the fan speed increases smoothly once the CPU temp rises...

The CPU is a 2400+ @ 2250mhz with a Maze3 and 1.75Vcore...
Idle temp is 43°C @ idle and 47°C according to the socket thermistor...

-edited 'cause SpeedFans "Temp3" is totaly unstable-

Just thought I'd share :)

Last edited:
SpeedFan is my favorite utility to control fans. I also have a fan controller that vantec makes. I don't like plugging in 120mm fans into my MB. Can lead to too much draw through the board and cause stabiliy problems when OCing.

Ri0 said:
I don't like plugging in 120mm fans into my MB. Can lead to too much draw through the board and cause stabiliy problems when OCing.
The DC to PWM isolates the MB from the fans... They're actually driven by the R.S. power supply...

Back