Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Hello my name is Carmen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 05-10-04, 10:26 AM Thread Starter   #1
germanjulian

Hello my name is Carmen

whas da deal ma name is Carmen n im reppin Brooklyn 2 da fullest!!!! im 17 n im a senior in high school.....gettin ready to graduate!!! yea!!! cant wait.....ima go straight into college...ima study culinary arts....i luv 2 cook ;o).....im jus doin ma thing u kno....got my mind right.....yea im single jus doin me at the moment gettin 2 kno sum pplz....if u like wha ya c ya kno da deal.....ima pretty cool person when ya get 2 kno me but dont cross me cuz i b that b**** u love 2 hate...well hate me or rate me......n 2 all ya haters **** ya it aint ****!!!! go ahead n hate on me jus shows me that im that important 2 ya...... ;o)

Now please tell me that people like this do not get into university! PLZ PLZ...

MOD: a female dog is not considered a swear word on this forum. might wanna add that to your list

Old 05-10-04, 10:41 AM   #2
Genjix

that sounds like an AOL profile
Genjix is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 10:54 AM   #3
PCGUY112887

That's sorta hard to read, are you sure your a senior? Or you use too much shorthand?
PCGUY112887 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 11:18 AM   #4
Dylruss

Looks like a nice post. Here is a can of Spam if you are hungry, or if you want to think about what you just said. Just kidding, yeah people do talk like that.

Dylruss is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 11:34 AM   #5
greenman100
Disabled

Reported to mod, and prediction: LOCK.
greenman100 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 11:53 AM   #6
Cornel

Re: Hello my name is Carmen

I think this was the point of the thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by germanjulian

What's wrong with that?

Cornel is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 11:58 AM   #7
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by PCGUY112887
That's sorta hard to read, are you sure your a senior? Or you use too much shorthand?
Senior what? He doesn't have a special rank or blue stars... But more importantly, that is something julian quoted, not his actual words.

Anyways, I agree with Cornel, and if there is a problem with this thread, its probably best to just let a mod take care of it and avoid threadcrapping. There have been a lot of mediocre thread starts that have turned into constructive discussions.

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 12:24 PM   #8
Pinky
Disabled

10 Year Badge

Re: Hello my name is Carmen

Quote:

It says "college" and "cullinary arts" which screams Community College.

yeah, standards are lower than ever nowadays
Pinky is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 12:29 PM   #9
Mr. $T$

10 Year Badge

He is more or less mocking (or copy and paste) how youth is influenced by IM. I see this all the time on other forums where the average age is 14-17. Quite sad if you ask me. Also this reminds me of when a father took his son's (or daughter's) job application and threw it away because he/she used HEAVY shorthand on it. He also uninstalled all IM programs from the computer. LOL.
Mr. $T$ is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 12:32 PM   #10
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Re: Re: Hello my name is Carmen

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky

It says "college" and "cullinary arts" which screams Community College.

yeah, standards are lower than ever nowadays
Going to rant on this subject again? You may want to run it through spell check this time before M_W quotes it again! That quote in his sig always gives me a little chuckle.

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 02:25 PM   #11
deRusett

I have seen posts on these boards that are nearly as bad, or atleast in my eyes they are,

All of this internet short hand, has made people stupid, I can't spell, I will be the first to admit my spelling sucks.

I can see a Generation of People born after 1987, growing up, with almost know spelling, or Writing abilities, I was on the border of the Computer Generation, Having seen them in the home since the early 80's. I know many people who do type like that, When it is needed, Example Computer games: 10 seconds to get your point accross you need to use short hand, e-mails Forum posts, Job applications, and so on, should be writen in long hand always. its just Respectable.

At age 17 .... success is .... having a driving licence.
At age 20 .... success is .... having sex.
At age 35 .... success is .... having money.
At age 50 .... success is .... having money.
At age 60 .... success is .... having sex.
At age 70 .... success is .... having a driving licence.
At age 75 .... success is .... having friends.
At age 80 .... success is .... not peeing in your pants
At Any Age ... success is ... Folding for Team 32
deRusett is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 02:31 PM   #12
Thelemac
Administratively Deficient

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by deRusett
Example Computer games: 10 seconds to get your point accross you need to use short hand
It depends how you learn to type. If you learn how to type things out the right way, it's faster to type the actual words than shorthand. If you suck at typing then it doesn't really matter, I guess.

IMO the most important computer skill you can have is knowing your keyboard. Even beyond typing it allows you faster access to innumerable functions in most all software packages.

And by senior he meant senior in HS...

*click*
Thelemac is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 02:31 PM   #13
PerlAddict

My little sister is 15 and lives about 3 hours away. When we talk over IM, I just want to scream sometimes (and I'm a bit of a grammar freak, so it's ten times worse for me. lol).

I actually learned to type fast thanks to AIM. When I went to college and finally had my own computer, I'd sit there with 4 or 5 IM windows open talking to friends from high school about how their new classes were, and eventually, my fingers just started to keep up. But since I never took a typing class, it's funny to watch me, because even though I am the fastest typer in our office (people actually yell out, "Hey, are you actually typing something over there, or are you just bangin' on the keys?!?"), I never learned to type the correct way, so my hand looks like a flurry of fingers going everywhere the way I have adapted to my keyboard.

But hey, if it works, it works. And at least I make complete sentences. It takes me five times as long to write out anything in this new-aged "shorthand" as it does for me to just type normally.

Raptor 74GB | Maxtor 160 GB | Dell 2405FPW | U2-UFO Opti-1203

Retired Rig/Wife's Machine:
Mobile 2600+ IQYHA 0352MPMW at 11 x 230 @ 1.825v | SP-97 w/Panaflo 92mm H1A | Abit NF7 v2 w/D26 Splitfire CPC-Off
2 x 512MB Mushkin Level 2 PC3500 (2-2-2-11) @ 3.3V | Sapphire X800Pro softmodded to XT, VGA Silencer, 500/540
Antec TrueControl 550W | Hitachi 160GB SATA | NEC DVD-RW | L90D+ | Twice7

My Heatware

"if you refuse to use jbweld I'll stab you in the face" - jamesavery22
PerlAddict is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 02:34 PM   #14
Mr. $T$

10 Year Badge

Quote:
I have seen posts on these boards that are nearly as bad, or atleast in my eyes they are,

All of this internet short hand, has made people stupid, I can't spell, I will be the first to admit my spelling sucks.

I can see a Generation of People born after 1987, growing up, with almost know spelling, or Writing abilities, I was on the border of the Computer Generation, Having seen them in the home since the early 80's. I know many people who do type like that, When it is needed, Example Computer games: 10 seconds to get your point accross you need to use short hand, e-mails Forum posts, Job applications, and so on, should be writen in long hand always. its just Respectable.
Plus it makes you look like a fool to not beable to properly converse your own language. Especially to those who are learning english as a second and they have better grammer and spelling.
Mr. $T$ is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 03:12 PM Thread Starter   #15
germanjulian

well I hear people talk like this all the time in london... in the bad areas.. cause its ghetto and cool...

diz ting is cool

this thing is cool.

god funny that in germany and france the youth does not talk like this but only in english countries... and you know why...
rap music!

I like the music but the lyrics have gone downhill in the last 6 years

Old 05-10-04, 03:21 PM   #16
deRusett

Quote:
Originally posted by Thelemac

It depends how you learn to type. If you learn how to type things out the right way, it's faster to type the actual words than shorthand. If you suck at typing then it doesn't really matter, I guess.

IMO the most important computer skill you can have is knowing your keyboard. Even beyond typing it allows you faster access to innumerable functions in most all software packages.

It does not depend how you learn to type, in games, most of the time you have a character Limit per line, and each line must be sent with an Enter,

turning large words like Before to b4, saves alot of time, especially since while gaming chances are you are typing with just one hand, negating all keyboarding skills,

I dispise using short hand, and fortunatly don't play enough high speed games to require it, but It does have its place.

I am no Slouch when Typing, probably amoung the fastest of my group of Game mates, but they can all blast out messages far faster then I since they use shorthand in game, but longhand via IM ( mostly)

At age 17 .... success is .... having a driving licence.
At age 20 .... success is .... having sex.
At age 35 .... success is .... having money.
At age 50 .... success is .... having money.
At age 60 .... success is .... having sex.
At age 70 .... success is .... having a driving licence.
At age 75 .... success is .... having friends.
At age 80 .... success is .... not peeing in your pants
At Any Age ... success is ... Folding for Team 32
deRusett is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 03:42 PM   #17
OKJEFF4

Quote:
well I hear people talk like this all the time in london... in the bad areas.. cause its ghetto and cool...

diz ting is cool

this thing is cool.

god funny that in germany and france the youth does not talk like this but only in english countries... and you know why...
rap music!

I like the music but the lyrics have gone downhill in the last 6 years
I listen to a lot of French rap. Your statement is, because of this, flawed. The reason it's only in English countries is because of the schools. When I went to the UK and Ireland, the school system was much more leniant than say, France. When I talk to my friends in the Phillipines and Laos, their grammar is perfect. The literacy rate in these countries is from my understanding, awesome.
OKJEFF4 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 03:44 PM   #18
Wicked Klown
Hard Ass Southern Boy Senior

10 Year Badge

I hope you do get in to college cause more male cooks would be nice. However if you wish to go you might wish to learn how to spell or learn how to do sohrt hand that right way. Aslo the part about the female dog. Yea your right it's not a swear word when talking about a real life dog, however it is a swear word in the way you used it.

Media Server | Norco RPC-470 | GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 | Phenom II X4 925 Deneb | 8gigs G.SKILL Ripjaws PC3 10666 | 64gig Crucial M4 | x2 2TB Samsung F3 | x2 1TB Samsung F1 | x1 2TB Samsung F4 | 500gigs Seagate 7200.10 | Sapphire HD4830 HDMI | Corsair 650hx

HEAT

"Never surrender. You're too much of a hardass to die on everyone." - Voodoo Rufus
Wicked Klown is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 03:50 PM   #19
Thelemac
Administratively Deficient

10 Year Badge

Quote:

It does not depend how you learn to type, in games, most of the time you have a character Limit per line, and each line must be sent with an Enter,
Don't think I explained myself quite right.

I meant that if you learned to type only without shorthand as opposed to learning to type shorthand, you'll be faster not using shorthand.

Considering I'd cut a hand off before typing shorthand, it will always be faster for me to type it all out.

*click*
Thelemac is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 03:59 PM   #20
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Thanks for the explanation thelemac... I was confused by the direct reference to the person who was being quoted, instead of the person who actually posted.

I think I just confused myself again.

/IMOG leaves thread

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.