• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my first intel rig ive built, prescott 2.8E epox 4pca3+ 2x512mb bt-d43 (PICS)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
a big ty to the oc.com intel guys for helping me out with all my research! and to batboy for the great chip!
unfortunatly it wont be running till tomorow hopefully when fedex brings the rest of my parts.

so while im waiting i decided to do my mobo mods first.

took off NB and used ceramique on it.
as3 epoxied a SB hs
as3 hand cut sinks for all mostfets including the NB mosfet.

epox ep-4pca3+ rev2.2
why that one? i just have a feeling about it is all i can say for now.
thats a 2.8E in the socket btw.
2x512mb pc2700 kingston value ram that just so happens to use bt-d43 chips.
just so you dont think im wacko for useing pc2700,those chips are what everyone uses most times besides adata on pc4000-4400 sticks.
should be good for 260fsb easy 280-290fsb with work later.

im coupling this with a fortron 530wt psu.

also ill be useing an alpha pal 8942T
with high output 92mm fan.

some stuff that will be running in this rig will be basic until i can afford the goodies. next months shopping list includes 2 raptors for raid0 and a 9800pro or x800.
followed by a prommy or vapochill.

here is a few pics.
ill post some initial benches tommorow once everything is verified as working.no ocing for a day so i can burn in the mobo and ram a bit before cranking on em.

now for some pics! :)

Attachments

• picture_0483.jpg
    picture_0483.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
nice so far (ya the rasm w/e i would use pc3200 but that me and like you said its good ram)

i would go with the slk3700bqe for a case if you dont have one its cheap and has 2 120mm fans the front intake has a washable filter! it has rubber mounts for the hd's ect its the best case ive seen fr the price

i want 1:1 ratios only.
pc3200/3500 is useless 1:1 unless bh5. but still wont do over 250fsb 1:1

this isnt ordinary pc 2700 ram,its pc4000-pc4200 ram just badged as pc2700.and sold at that price.
have you priced a gig of pc4000?

i dont use a case until im almost done building as im always taking things in and out for testing.once i get a phase change system set up and installed i will most likley add one then.

Sentential said:
Wish you luck.... right now my BTD43 wont cooperate at anything over 248mhz... which is still kick ***
thats on a nf7? yeh thats not bad for that then.
i took my old nf7-to 260 fsb before with khx4000 BUT it wouldnt do that with high mhz. most likley needed more vdd.

ill post as many results as i can tomorow.

Krowa 02 said:
Nice rig, waiting for the results now :).
that makes 2of us.hehee
im hitting refresh on my browser every 5 minutes to see if fedex is getting closer.
mabey tomorow, but definatly wednsday.
idont think i can wait that long myself as im now on a borrowed pc with a 333 celery. i can only use 1 app at a time!

InvisGreenMan said:
Might want to think about getting a fan to blow on the N/BN heatsink somehow...with high FSB that baby needs proper cooling.
ive thought about this and will make sure its cooled good.
i did take the bubblegum pad off and used ciramique on it,also my cpu fan will put out 100cmf and is right next to it.
im hopeing the blowby will be more then sufficiant,if not ill use a fan seperate.ive also heard these get extremely hot.

on a side note fedex hates me! my stuff is in indy! wont be here in my paws today i bet.gonna be another long boring day of waiting!

Cheer up! At least you know it's on the way. I have an awesome watercooled rig sitting idle with no CPU while I frantically look for an elusive D-0 stepping Prescott. Half tempted to try a 3.0C instead to tide me over.

batboy said:
Cheer up! At least you know it's on the way. I have an awesome watercooled rig sitting idle with no CPU while I frantically look for an elusive D-0 stepping Prescott. Half tempted to try a 3.0C instead to tide me over.
time to go pc shop hopping :)
ilove doing that visiting every pc shop i know of asking for these things and having to explain why.lol many funny comments.

im a very,very impatient person when waiting on parts.sounds like you are too tho even thinking of buying the 3.0C lol
i dont blame you tho,i would do it also.

i was goona suggest trying a 2.4 prescott but i see ya already did :)

ill be keeping my eyes out for one also for ya.
i hate to say it buy ebay might be worth a search or 2.

Sweet, I have that board since september of last year when the rev 2.0 just release in the US. I had no problem what so ever with that board and love the vdimm(it right on the money at 3.3v).

I've heard that the rev 2.2 have limited vdimm up to 2.9-3.0 when set to 3.3v in the bios. But with some mod I think this board is pretty awesome.

I now have switch over to the P4C800E-Deluxe and see if which one I will like the most. That board is waiting to get the Vdimm, Droop & Vagp mod done. I hope that this board is as good or better than my Epox board.

Good luck bro with your experience with the board and the Prescott!

nice stuff you got. what made you switch to intel? i switched when the p4c were released this time last year, because everyone here was raving about the overclocks on stock hsf.

I hope you have more luck with that Epox mobo that I did. (Rev 2.2 RMA'd 3 times after only 36 hours of use. Still waiting for it to come back)

Krowa 02 said:
I wanna do a prescott project this summer. Hopefully I can get a good job this weekend, im going to use your stuff as a template of some sort.
wow thats a compliment and a half!
this is just the first phase of the rig.

parts yet to come:
2xraptors for raid0
9800pro or x800
prometia or vapochill
dual crt's

oc_newbee-really wanted to stay away from volt modding but the asus vdimm mod looks rather easy.i hope i like the mobo as much as you did.

imnot sure what bios is packed on this board,id guess the vdimm limited one.i can flash back to an older one if i need the extra vdimm.i doubt ill need it atm as my 2.8E will be doing 3.5ghz @250fsb
when i get phase change cooling might need it then tho.
i really wanted the asus p4c800E-D but at $188 was out of this months budget and i really needed to get this rig at least running.

Jo-Jo-i feel the xp's are dead as top end material and the A64 is over priced and the mobos are just plain sucking imo.give it time tho i do see a 939 in my future.plus without wide spread 64 bit performance it doesnt beat a p4.
the p4 and A64 are equal in my books.the p4 line is now cheaper so was an easy decision.

AudiMan-i buy only from newegg,this board dies i switch to something else.i dont tolerate hassles.ask my asus a7v333 that killed 2 cpu's one was a $375 chip!
i sold that board asap to a pc shop for $25 when it was selling new for $140 ,it was just useless to me if i cant trust it.

ive had alot of good luck with epox and especially newegg.
i killed a 8rda with a vdd mod that fell off and shorted the mobo,but other than that i love them.
i only buy asus,abit and epox mobos for my main rigs.
ive been tempted to try othersbut hasnt happened yet.

on the fedex front my hs/f and psu have been sitting in indy since saterday morning.
May 9, 2004 9:40 pm arrived at Sort Facility

INDIANAPOLIS IN

I WANT MY PARTS! :)

ty guys for all the nice comments and even any critcism as i take it as constructive and take no offense.
i think i will like the blue side of town :D

Back