• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What could be causing a short??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joshh100

Im helping my cousin build his first computer and just came back tonight empty handed so to speak.. I was there more or less to oversee the operations so Im not really sure what the problem is.. he hooked everything up and we go to power on and it does for a brief second and then just shuts down, like the fans spin and the lights blink but is real quick so I presume that something is being shorted out. I have a feeling that it may be the way the motherboard is seated in the case. its sitting on top of those little divider things that you screw into the case.. maybe I should have told him to put something in between that and the mobo? Well if you have any ideas.. just lemme know so I can fix this problem and my frustrated cousin!

Have you tried unplugging everything but the RAM, GFx card, CPU (and HSF fan)? That's a first step in troubleshooting a non-booting system. If it boots then add things in until it stops booting. If it still won't boot then take the mobo out and place it on a WOODEN table and attempt to boot it again.

geez radar, seems like you are all over my questions tonight :D yea but I tried doing that so it really must be something with the mobo.. I think my cousin put the washers in beween the mobo and the TOP of the screw though.. if that may be the problem

I was also wondering what could cause a possible short. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Back