• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus p4c800e deluxe voltage confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
ok, so im OCing my very first p4 setup - and iv got my 2.8c at 3.4ghz (245fsb).
However, in the bios i selcted 1.58 volts, but in mbm5, asus probe and cpuz it reports 1.645!!! when i tried for 3.5ghz at 1.6v bios it registered as 1.68v!!! WTH?? whats going on - not being able to guess the real voltage iv selected is messing up my OC - i know this chip will do 3.5ghz - which is right - the bios or all the other software?

Asus is known to do that... also the vcore often drops under load. MBM5 is probably close to being correct.

Last edited:
I have the same mobo that you do, the P4C800-E Dlx. This mobo does overvolt versus what is selected in the BIOS. The reading you get with MBM5 and Asus Probe are correct.

The biggest problem is that the CPU voltage drops a lot under full load. This is what causes a lot of the stability problems people have. You can fix this voltage drop problem, but it requires soldering a VR to your mobo.

ok well id rather not mod my board,any ideas on what voltage id need in the bios to be stable but safe at 3.5ghz? im currently at 3.4@ 1.625v bios. What voltages are safe for my chip? i dont want it to die on me from too much voltage - whats the safe max voltage on air? my current temps are cpu 27degrees mobo 26 idle @1.625v
thanks

hm
1.625v is high
but i think health maximum is about 1.65
all over that are danger
or will destroy ur chip in short time

I got rid of my asus for just that problem because I had a chance to change to a IC7 max3 for free and have been VERY pleased. My stable 24/7 overclock went from 3.66ghz to 3.8ghz.

I have also yet to see what it can do cold. I'm guessing 4.3 since it did about 4.2 with the asus.

when i tried for 3.5ghz at 1.6v bios it registered as 1.68v!!!

But what voltage were you getting at 100% load on the CPU? Probably around 1.55 volts, I would guess.

I agree that you should try to stay below 1.65 volts. The problem is that your idle voltage is quite high, while your load voltage is very acceptable. How much does your CPU stay at idle? Maybe you could put it to work FOLDING. That would reduce the time your computer sits at idle with the high voltage.

i think im gonna have to rma this board cos no matter what i select in the bios i still get 1.64v or above in mbm5 and asus probe - im not risking my cpu dieing from to many volts. What would you guys suggest for P4 OCing on? Abit IC7 Max3 is the current contender i think - ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

TG

Back