• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Redesigned Phantom w/ AMD&Nvidia Hardware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Demont

First Look: the redesigned, $199 Phantom console
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/10/news_6096249.html
Infinium Labs announces the PC game console's specs and launch date and its plan to give them away--to people who sign up for the service.

phantom_thumb001.jpg

Infinium also revealed what's inside the receiver: an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ central processing unit, an Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 Ultra graphics processing unit, and an Nvidia nForce2 Ultra 400 platform processor. The receiver will be manufactured at Taiwan-based Biostar’s production facility in Guangdong Province, China. Other key specs of the Phantom receiver are DirectX 9-compliant graphics and audio, Dolby Digital 5.1 channel audio, 256MB of RAM, and a 40GB hard drive.

With those specs and that price tag sounds like it has potential for tasks other than what is intended. Distributed computing, console overclocking, maybe just a cheap PC in a slick case. I suppose it all depends on how locked down and full of proprietary stuff this machine will be. More info on this so called "game reciever" will probably show up at E3.

Discuss. :thup:

if they do ever release that thing it would make an excellent cheap folding/crunching layer.
but, I'll believe it when i see it at the local gamestop.

Back