• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3d mark 2001 probs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hammerz

Registered
Why do my scores change so much, yesterday it was 10000 and this morning it was only 6000? im runing on an Asus a7n8x wiv an amd xp 2600 and a gf4 ti 4200 128mb 8xAGP. Ive tried re-installing the program but that made no change, nor do i have any background applications running. Any ideas welcomed.

ps. i envy those wiv high scores! HTF DO YOU DO IT?

i only just turned my machine on! oh wel, is it worth me using 3dmark03 instead? thx 4 da guides!

Not with a GF4...but if you already have DX9 installed...might as well...DX9 is a 01 killer...SP1 kills it even more...

Also...the best thing to do is let the system sit and idle for a few minutes before running 01...you could of had a few hidden apps running or finishing loading when you started up 01...which in turn would of dropped the score since your memory bandwidth was being used by 01 and whatever else was running in the background at the time...

thx 4 dat info. ill try it. i shud b gettin a new machine soon neway, ne recomendations, £700 price limit.

ok...what would that be in US...and do you want Intel...Amd...or a A64 system...

What are your full system specs now...include cooling and PSU...

Im in England.

My specs are:
Asus a7n8xrev2
amd xp 2600+
GF4 ti4200 128mb 8xagp
plextor plexwriter 12/10/32
Pioneer DVD-104
2x60gb maxtor hd
3 80 mm fans at 5000 rpm
300watt psu

as to intel or amd im not sure, i need to read up and find out wats best for my money.

I will tell you a few things that will need to be upgraded no matter what you go with...

First is the PSU...dont go cheap either...the PSU is the heart of the system...would be a waste spending a bunch of money on some nice hardware to ruin it with a cheap PSU...

Second...if you stay with air cooling...add a few more fans...2 in front, 2 side blowholes and either 1 or 2 in back and a top blowhole...I know these seem like a lot...but in the long run your system will love you for them...and your OC's should increase because of the amount of cool air flowing through the case...

Other then that...until you know which brand you are going with...I can't really say what hardware would be better...

What will you mainly use this system for...gaming...video editting...or?

ill prob go with amd xp or 64 bit
if i go wiv xp like i am now, shud i keep the mb i have at da mo.
ill prob use it for games, but also programming as well.

oh i forgot, i have 4 80mm fans, and 1 on da cpu and 1 on the grafics card.

All the fans I mentioned...are on the case itself...;)...

and if you go with a XP...then go with either a NF7 or a DFI...

And if wanting to go with a A64 system...it would be actually better to wait for the 939's to be released...

GC's is up to you...I personally would wait another month or so to see how the new cards do...and also gives the prices to drop on the older cards...like a somewhat older DX9 card...

Unless you plan on running raid...I wouldnt waste my time with a SATA drive...a good ATA133 w/8MB cache will be just as fast...

DFI Lanparty NF II Ultra B or Ultra Infinity; NF7-S 2.0

AMD Mobile Barton 2400+ (or 2500+, but 2400 is cheaper)

Sapphire 9800 Pro 128mb (only about 209 from newegg)

Mushkin Special 222 Bh-6

Fortron 530W PSU (adjustable rails, great PSU)

That's a nice upgrade w/o spending too much. It MAY or may not be in your best interests to wait for the newer tech as it's already going to come out expensive, but that setup up there should be good for about 20k 3dmarks provided how well you o/c.

Back