• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM sinks. How big is too big?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bradsm87

Registered
Hi. I'm thinking of cutting my stock Athlon XP 2800+ heatsink into RAM sinks.

I plan on making them 1 x 1 x 1 inches. It that OK? I'll prob chuck em on with Arctic Silver Adhesive and Arctic Silver 5 at about 60/40 (Adhesive/AS5).

Would it be a better idea to get smaller copper sinks with roughly the same heat dissipation or are huge aluminium ones OK?

Thanks people!

Any RAMsinks would be better then none... If they are larger, you'd have more surface area. Only thing to take into consideration is if you plan on adding an aftermarket GPU cooler. The Silencer or Zalman Heatpipe won't leave much clearance for huuuuge RAMsinks.

yea huge sinks will be better than small ones, you just want to make sure you don't decide to get an aftermarket cooler the heatsinks may make the cooler not fit

yeh i'm watercooling as of after a few weeks of good operation and it is OK to void the warranty. I noticed even the X800XT has just bare ram chips away from the heatsink so i assume if i add some, i should get sum wikid speed out of it.

Wat i am really trying to ask is would i get the same performance out of copper ram sinks HALF THE SIZE of huge aluminium ones or is there not much difference between aluminium and copper?

Would a local electronic guy change a couple of the tiny resistors to change the voltages if i told em wat impendence resistors to put on and which ones to do? I DON'T like using graphite from pencils! lol.

aluminum and copper arent that different.

the hight of the ram sink isnt as important as 1. how much surface area it has per inch of heigh, if it has 2 thick fins, your not doing so good. also how thick the base is. you want to get on to the fins as soon as possible.

ares350 said:
aluminum and copper arent that different.

the hight of the ram sink isnt as important as 1. how much surface area it has per inch of heigh, if it has 2 thick fins, your not doing so good. also how thick the base is. you want to get on to the fins as soon as possible.

I was looking at very expensive Tweakmonster BGA RAMsinks and they are tiny and have only 4 thick fins. I thought they were crap. The NB cooler on my new mobo actually blows air right on to the graphics card so it should blow sum air into the many fins of the hacked up Athlon XP stock cooler.

Back