• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 4 + Athlon heat sink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zoplax

Registered
I have an Intel D850GB, which I'm swapping into another PC. The heatsink, though (Swiftech 462 I believe), I'm grabbing for my new system.

The old system's CPU I'd like to try to cool using an AMD-compatible heatsink/fan since I don't have another P4-compatible one lying around.

The board has holes on either side of the ZIF socket, would large cable ties be effective, or some nonconductive thread or dental floss, to secure the heatsink to the CPU surface?

I would also be open to using superglue at the corners of the CPU heat spreader + arctic silver in the middle, but only as a last resort; plus the AMD cooler (Thermaltake Volcano 10) is pretty heavy and I don't really want to chance just superglue by itself holding that thing in place when the system is put back togther in its tower case).

Thanks for any tips. :D

CPUs require a steady pressure between it and the heatsink. If you do not secure the heatsink properly you will at best not get good cooling or at worst overheat the CPU. Of course it your CPU you are risking. If like risk then go for it.

As mentioned above the cpu does need adiquite pressure. This pressure insures constant solid contact with the heatsink and cpu at all times. I would not recommend doing this unless you have a spare processor lying around.

I modded my mobo with a AMD/370 fan adapter thing. Thermalright made it. IT was pretty decent. I tried the AMD Aeroflo against the P4, pretty similar results.

The P4 has the automatic throttling based on temperature, and it works quite well. If the worst happens, you have a good chance of being OK.

Even so, it might be a good idea to underclock at first, just to keep heat down. Zip ties would work temporarily, but I recommend you find something made for the P4 eventually. Even a stock cooler.

Back