• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MOTHER of GHETTO cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe Camel

Senior Camel Kicker
well, ive officially gone NUTS!!

after having "some" success with my 2loop setup and a "minor" leak incident, (LOTS of water, NO damage :D ), i was a little "burnt out" on all this water cooling, but (very) recently, ive come back with a vengeance! ive since been on a quest for new and better parts.

latest acquisitions: 1x D4 - 12V - 1/2" - pump. 1x D4 - 16V - 3/4" (with cooling fan mod LOL). 2x Fedco 2-342 rads.

now im not the type to take my time and get all anal about neatness (during testing/prototyping) but i think i have out done myself this time.

this project is a testament to the power of duct tape, cardboard, and my INSANITY.

:eek:WARNING:eek: the next image will cause some of you pain, some of you may also DIE!!! (laughing)

ive nicknamed it the "Ghetto Dragster" : she AIN'T PRETTY, but shes FAST (and cool) as HELL!!

ENJOY!:beer:

need to make you scroll down..

or you would all just....

look @ the picture...

ok here it comes...

hehe:rolleyes:

ghettoGOD.jpg

lol, don't look too bad
u've went completly coco on the equiptment though, lol
what kind of temps u got there?

its been FOLDing for 1.5 hours and temps are:
39C (motherboard monitor) with 23C room. (73F)
CPU is @ 2700MHz 225x12 2.0V (bios) 1.95V (motherboard monitor)

best temps (for me) ever @ these settings :)

EDIT: now all i need is Cathar's new P2 WB. my guess is: ive got some time b4 that. so ill work on cleaning up this setup till then ;)

Last edited:
Hey what happened to those torin blowers I sold ya?

Those look like 120mm x 38 mm Sunon MBx's alright i guess but as I can see you could give a rats *** about noise having laing pumps and two of them no less:)

Very Nice BTW:)

It looks like a fan controller VAdept. Joe, are those 2 D4's running at full speed? If there is 2 loops where is the 2nd one?

Yea, that IS pretty ghetto, but if it works :)

I can't tell what exactly I am looking at though ;)

Soja said:
It looks like a fan controller VAdept. Joe, are those 2 D4's running at full speed? If there is 2 loops where is the 2nd one?

well.. one is running at full speed, the other is running overvolted to 16v (damn joe ur crazy). i think joe is just experimenting with this setup, his two loop is in an external setup.

wow i thought i would have got more "flame" but since this isnt "pro-(flame)cooling"...:)

the thing inbetween is just some kind of "foam" shelf paper i found laying around...or something, its just there to keep the fan controller from grounding out on the rads.

the 120's are Nidec Beta V's (130CFM i think). dont worry Beerhunter, the blowers WILL (probly) be used in another setup...

the pumps are as Korndog said: one @ 16V (lower) and one @ 12V (upper). there is only 1 loop (in this setup) and YES they do (ALMOST) double the pressure in a loop (think Cathar said the 2nd pump woud add about 2/3 - 1/2 of its preasure) while i was (out of comp) leaktesting, i put my ear to the base of the waterblock (white water) and almost went deaf from the sound of the RUSHING water ;)

i think thoes temps were another of the NF7-s's screw-ups, just booted up (i learned my lesson: DO NOT "leak test" overnight!) this morning and im hitting 41C with 21C room...o-well.

thanks for the kind words and feel free to ask more details

PS
the loop goes: T - 16V pump - 12V pump - WB - rad - rad - T. with all 5/8" tube except the inlet to the 16V which is 3/4"

(no time to spellcheck im a "little" late for work ;))

It's not bad.
I'm wondering if you put any fan dividers inside that shroud and if you'll add another shroud and fans in the future. Just curious :)

ok now im @ work...

no divider walls inside the shroud. i assume as long as all the fans are running @ about the same speed, there wont be any "back flow". IE 2 fans @ 12v would pull air through 2 fans @ 7V . (did that make sense?)

no i dont think i will be adding more fans. ive seen NO change in temps if i run @ 12V vs. 8-9V and only 1C higher @ 7V (fan controller lights turn red < 7V, blue >7V)

not too sure what this will end up looking like...cant decide if i want to try to use these rads in my 2loop or drop that theory.

the one thing i have to say is, Fedco 2-342 rads are AWSOME:attn: :attn: i have tried chevette, caprice, and the ones WA2 sell, and these single pass flow like nothing else.

what is with the blue fan things that hooke into the tube's with like black finns sort of what are those what do they do??

fans every were!!!! the noise i can hear it from here!

I'm not sure why you're running one D4 at 12v and the other at 16, unless you just have it that way until you get the second one modded.

From my experiments with two Via 1300s, It seems to me for two pumps in series, the following holds true:

Max head = (max head pump1+max head pump2)

Max flow at 0ft head=(.85*((max flow pump1+max flow pump2)/2))

Based on your numbers, I'd estimate your limiting factor is just the CPU to block interface. I run one 2-342 HC with a blower at 12v, and taking it to 24v does nothing for my temps, so I assume that I've reached diminishing returns myself, and you have twice the rad space.

I bet you could take one of those D4s out and see very little difference in cooling.

I'd also bet you could take out one of those 2-342s and see very little difference in cooling.

But....awesome setup!

Back