• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Processor Computers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terminat.

In a sticky thread the advantages of dual processor computing were well described: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78677

Though I have one question: apart from getting your computer a dual processor-compatible operating system what about individual applications? How many of them support dual processor platforms? Or is dual processing supported by everything as long as the OS does?

Mostly certain programs are written to support dual processing. Many 3d rendering programs things like this support them.

But in many cases dual processors will speed up certain things.

Such as multitasking, encoding/decoding any type of sound/video files. It also gives you the ability to do many many things at once.

I have yet to see my machine choke while doing things. This includes defragging/virus scanning/burning cds/browsing the internet all at once.

Ramlaen said it well - it is not so much that some apps can take advantage of the dual CPU's but the fact that the PC can run multiple apps (that leave a single processor machine beging for mercy!) without slowing down - that is what I absolutely LOVE about my dually :)

i can at once, and did today:

Hashed a bittorent file (2gig)
Extracted a 700meg RAR file
Burnt a CD
Listened to some music
Talked on msn
Ran ad-aware.

It started to choke lol :D

I've owned a PIII dually in the past and I'm itching so bad to get a dually G5 2Ghz or higher (near future). I'd only use it for folding..but with HT technology on P4C/E it's almost like having a dually. So to dual or not to dual...that is stll the question.......

rb

People are crazy when they talk about getting 4 or 8 procs. THe only program I know to support 4 procs really, is brazile or vray, and lets be honest how many people here use those apps regulary to justify the high costs?!??! I recommned dualies to almost everyone who does more than word, game, browse inet, and chat. Alot of friends are editing movies for their dvdr, or pictures, or heavy into music, and i tell them get a nice dual proc, its cheaper than the extrem edition, and alot faster as well.

Again 4 to 8 is just overkill, unless you wanna f@h for team 32 then by all means buy 2 of those machines.

yeah take one for the team and get 2 8 proc systems. In about 1 week you will be like top 100 with that kinda power. In all practicallity though 2 cpu's is more then enough unless your working hardcore into video editing and have the money to blow.

I agree with 2 cpus, but quads are excessive unless you need 100% power all the time, like a proper server at a college or something...

Hey Bragging rights must be factored in. When a dual cored CPU is made and it will run in a dual processor set up I am going QUAD..........No doubt about it....3 will fold and 1 will game lol see sig...

Back