• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a faster CPU with lower fsb better than an o/c CPU with higher fsb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jenkx

I'm pretty new to overclocking and I'm wondering how important is fsb?:confused: Is a fast CPU with lower fsb better than an o/c CPU with higher fsb if both are running at the same speed? For example, the faster CPU's stock speed is say, 3.2 and it's fsb is 800 (4x200) while the o/c'ed CPU stock speed is 2.8 but it is running @ 3.2 with a fsb of say, 940 (4x235).

I would think that if both are running at 3.2 than the computer with the overclocked CPU has the performance advantage because the memory is running faster.

Higher FSB will win even if the memory is somehow kept equal. If you have both higher FSB and more memory bandwidth, then that's even more gravy on top.

batboy said:
Higher FSB will win even if the memory is somehow kept equal. If you have both higher FSB and more memory bandwidth, then that's even more gravy on top.

I have 1g of pc4000/500 Kingston HyperX. I got it because the price was unbeatable. I paid $130 for each stick of 512mb at Circuit City. That is extreamly cheaper than I'v seen it any place else. If I run that memory at 400 like a couple of sticks of pc3200/400 will it perform better than regular 3200/400 sticks because it has room to increase or must I use that increased space to get a performance bost? (though I'll naturally get a performance bost when I up the fsb anyhow)

I don't have personal experience with the KHX PC4000, but at DDR400 you should be able to run at tighter timings than at DDR500.

jenkx said:

I have 1g of pc4000/500 Kingston HyperX. I got it because the price was unbeatable. I paid $130 for each stick of 512mb at Circuit City. That is extreamly cheaper than I'v seen it any place else. If I run that memory at 400 like a couple of sticks of pc3200/400 will it perform better than regular 3200/400 sticks because it has room to increase or must I use that increased space to get a performance bost? (though I'll naturally get a performance bost when I up the fsb anyhow)

using pc4000 in a 5/4 ratio is not recomended. most of the pc4000/4200/4400 is some form of hynix bt-d43,ct-d43 or d5 chips
the best ive gotten out of them is 2-3-3-5 up to about 220 or so.as dr schutte from ocz has shown the middle 2 numbers are the most important for the new fast chipsets built today, and the pc4000 modules mostly arent designed for those timings. i would run them at 250+ with the lowest latency possible probably 2.5-4-4-7, cause that what they are designed for....

Back