• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Damaged PNY 5950Ultra

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueBall

PNY 5950Ultra specs

I need help....

This was given to me in hopes I could repair it and use it for myself.

The previous owner had a screwdriver accident.

I need to know what repacement value/model number of component to use to repair this card.

Thanks in Advance ..... :>

Attachments

• wide shot 640.jpg
    wide shot 640.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
The AGP contacts have a very small mark where it appears there was a short?!?

The AGP slot on the mobo is fine. It now has a 9800XT

I told the original owner to be more careful when modding $500 cards.

Attachments

• agp short 640.jpg
    agp short 640.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 384
Wow, that's just a crying shame.... a perfectly nice card that's seemingly ruined...

The little surface-mount resistor ought to be easy enough... remove it with a heat gun and replace it with a like part. They should be color-coded with the stripes and all, so if you show it to an electronics guru, they'll know the correct resistance to put on there.

For the RAM... well, I haven't a clue as to where to get an extra RAM chip for one of these. I wish you luck with that one!

And for the connector, if there was a short there, you pray and hope that the card is even still intact! That's definitely something that has the potential to b0rk the whole deal. I don't know if there's much you can do about it. Hey, if you're lucky, they're just tarnished or oxidized a bit after the mishap, and will clean up and function properly.

I wouldn't give it a lot of hope, though.

Wonder if someone would have schematics for this card's power circuitry anywhere. That might help you determine if any of the leads are toasted or not.

(edited for deplorable spelling...)
Got Multimeter? :D

I have all the right tools to repair most electronics.

I am searching for a schematic but no luck so far.

Is that ram chip encased with that black plastic or is there circuitry just below the surface. I'm obviously hoping it's encased.

I have replied to your thread ... <SAD> .... I hope the combined IQ of this forum will prevail and save you from buying a THIRD card.

When you give up on it PM me and I'll take a shot at it and I'll buy you a bottle of your favorite sauce to drown your sorrows.

Please help me if you can .... I have been to my local electronics repair supply store and the colour code on the adjacent chips is VERY hard to determine.

I was told I can do a resistance test on it to determine what it is ... but what if it is a capacitor?

My guess is to find another dead 5900 and try and get the part from it to repair your 5950. I don't think any electronics shop is gonna have that particular part. Maybe a TV/radio repair shop or a shop that repairs communications radios like CB or ham sets. Maybe a dead 5XXX series card also might have the piece.

Other than that i think you're pretty much S.O.L :(

I am assured my local supply store carries an equivalent part ... I am simply unable to determine what that is.

I have a 5900xt but it is 128MB and has a TOTALLY different layout than a 256MB 5950U.

I was told I may have to remove the one next to it to get a reading. ****!

If it's a tan-colour, like the one next to it looks, then chances are it's a capacitor. Looks it from the picture, but hard to tell.

For all intents and purposes you won't be able to measure it even if it was whole.

If it's darker in colour and has (had) a number written in the top of it then it's probably a resistor. The number gives you its value.

The RAM chip looks like a BGA one; this has its 'pins' underneath (Ball Grid Array) - they're like balls, in a grid, arrayed underneath it.

To remove this you'll need to heat it up very much. Without frying it or the surrounding bits.

Replacing it will be even harder. Much, much harder I'm afraid.

If your local store carries surface-mount components (good store!) then they may be able to find out what the first broken component should be, but it's unlikely.

I'd look at my card, but it's snug in my system I'm afraid.

Sorry.

Cracked RAM + removed resistor + damaged AGP connector = dead card

I am afraid that repairs will be far from easy - you would have to replace that BGA ram module, replace the resistor and possibly repair the trace that might have been ripped up with it, and give the AGP connector a good clean. Unless you happen to have a surface mount electronics lab at your disposal it's not going to happen.

And Nebulous, do not attempt sales outside the Classifieds. Might want to edit your posts before a mod sees that.

Hey man GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!! can u get ur hand on a new card just 4 a bit to look at what that resitor is like run to BB and get the card look at it then pack it back up and return it??(all parts left on of course....)(i really mean it to....) but yeah that is what i would do then get the same part that is missing and so on....O yeah good luck with the RAM chip as i have been told MANY times that it is "nearly" impossible 4 the "commen" joe to fix.....

Damn ... I hate WAVE SOLDERING .... (I think thats the right term)

So everyone agrees the RAM chip is shot?

I was hoping that was a heat sink covering/shroud.

PS ... If I BUY one of these I won't be able to resist putting it's stock cooler on this sucker (it hides all damaged areas) and returning it. It's wrong but I would do it. So I'm not gonna buy one .... yet.

The preson who could help me was "Out to lunch" ... Literally.

I'm going back again this week.

Attachments

• electronics store 006 (small).jpg
    electronics store 006 (small).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 245
Back