• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My ignorance about PSUs have given me a computer problem!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

okaydoood

Registered
What is up guys. I have a mild computer dilema involving my psu.

I overclocked my computer from a 2.6c pentium 4 to 3.2 ghz. It has been running stable for a good 4 months. Just recently, I looked in back of my psu, and while my computer was on, I moved the orange slide switch of my psu from 115v to 230v. Due to my stupidity, my computer screen went blank. I switched it back, and my computer went to normal. But due to my ever increasing stupidity, I did it again. After a couple of times of switching the range of AC input of my psu, I finally switched it back to 115v (the original setting) and sat down. When I restarted my computer, I came across 2 problems:

1. I am a complete idiot. :eek:
2. I could no longer run my computer at it's overclocked state. In order for my computer to even run, I had to underclock it back to 2.6 ghz. :( when I ran it at 3.2 ghz, my hard drive would shut off when it entered the windows startup screen.

So i'm wondering.... is my cpu / hard drive damaged? Can I clock my cpu back up to it's previous 3.2 ghz state? Why am i such an idiot?

Thanks a lot guys... rants, raves, and answers are appreciated...

Umm yea you are an Idiot sorry i had to say it. ou should have done research or looked in the manuale or asked others what the orange switch was.

Youre lucky that it didnt fry youre whole pc and kill the psu with it. You prob just hurt youre computer to the point where it wont overclock like it used to. Sorry but thats all i know im sure other might be more helpfull or they might agree with me.

Last edited:
wow, uncoolness...

thats to make hte psu compatable with UK power (or something liek that...)

anyways you basically just gaqve everything the wrong voltage a few times. Mobo, chipset, video, harddrive...

surprised nothuings fried.

you probably reset your bios settuings, if not corrupted your bios...

try setting your bios settings back to what they were, maybe your ram timings are wrong, maybe your FSB ration isnt locked and your effing up your hdd by trying to run it too fast.

maybe your drive is fried alltogether, i dont know....i cant beleibve you did that.

I have turned a computer on with the voltage settings wrong (brand new case/psu, manufacturer had it set at 230) took me a while to figure out the problem, but after setting it back to 115 everything worked fine.

One point that I beleive many people have learned the hard way, including myself, is never do any modding, changing jumpers or flipping switches on your computer while it is on. And always research what you want to do first.

Yea that was kinda dumb but it shouldn't have hurt it that much because all you were doing was undervolting it. It may have been the shock of doing it while the computer was on that messed it up. Hard shutdowns are never good. Now if you were on 230v power and switched it to 115v then that would most likely have killed it because you would have overvolted it.

fortunately my computer is fine. i am going to try to overclock it again slowly. There might be some damage done, but i can't notice it right now.

all i notice is my stupidity.

back to the threads... heheh

Yeah the 230v setting is for us UK users.
Our computers are more powerful then yours and so need more power(and if you believe that, your an idiot ;))
Did you think it was to give your PSU more power or something? :p

Last edited:
yeah...i think i did this when...hmmm when computers were considered high-end with a cd drive, i thought it would make it run faster :p oh well, we all learn from our mistakes

i think that it wasnt exactly the smartest thing to do while it was on and more than once...at least i did it when it was off...then didnt realize switching it cost 1000 something bucks in repairs/upgrades so on...

Back