• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 5900 Ultra heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
I will have a gainward FX 5900 card soon. I was wondering what I could do for a better heatsink? Can I use a 5900 ultra heatsink? Anyone know where I can buy one? Maybe call gainward?

-Collin-

It looks like you could possibly drill and tap some holes in a cpu heatsink and stick it on with springs and screws.
Then add ramsinks of your choice.
Maybe get a Zalman FB-123 Bracket and Fan to blow air over it as well.

gpu_tim.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm....guess its gonna have to be all custom huh?

I wish there was a VGA silencer for the FX series. That would make my day!

Thanks for the ideas. We'll see what I can come up with. If I do get a CPU heatsink then install ramsinks....will those little ramsinks perform as well as that huge aluminum heatsink that covers all of them at once?

-Collin-

A custom made sink from one of those copper HS's would be better than the silencer anyday. I would personnaly make my own ram sinks from an old PII heatsing to cover to of the rams at once, would be much better than the little bga sinks.

PS
you have to remove that 9800pro from your sig, it's mine now! :)

I would say copper ramsinks like the ones from OCZ would perform better.
You could even put an 80mm fan (fits perfectly if you have the free slots) where your pci slots openings are to exhaust heat like a Vga Silencer would. I do and it seems to keep my case temps down vs. not having it there.

Last edited:
Ri0 said:

PS
you have to remove that 9800pro from your sig, it's mine now! :)

LOL! Sorry man...what am I thinking?

So, if I were to use a copper heatsink from a cpu, I would need to use one of the three pin connecters on the motherboard for the fan right? :( I dont have any left....which would mean a 4 pin molex adapter. Blah. Could I wire a 60mm fan into where the heatsink fan plugs in? Or is there not enough power?

-Collin-

I'm not too sure about the power draw issue from the video card header. Maybe one of the other members can verify it or you can get that info from Gainward.
With an aftermarket heatsink comes the option of choosing the fan to go with it.
I'm sure you could source one that would work.

NinjaZX6R said:

Could I wire a 60mm fan into where the heatsink fan plugs in? Or is there not enough power?

-Collin-

I would not recommend it because you will need the extra voltage for a good stable overclock. What do you have that is using all the 3 pin connectors on your MB? Remove one of those and use an adapter. Fan you found on SVC looks nice. If you have acess to a drill press it would take you 10 minutes to measure and drill the holes tops. It would very well also.

Check my www link - there's nice heatsink modded by myself.
As you can see, such thing doesn't look that bad and should work fine for your card (notice mounting). You'd need some memory heatsinks too.

Zalman heatsink is relatively good (with fan ofc), but not great. If only you have possibility, I suggest to mod some nice heatsink for AMD / P4. And unless you make some special mounting, go with aluminium. Copper heatsink may stress card too much.

Sorry that link just brings you to the main page. Click the link for the iceberq4 pro vga cooling unit.

Ninja, why dont you give me some reasons for that statement. The iceberq has a copper heatsink and a decent fan, the stock cooler on mine has a plastic heatsink and a tiny little cheap looking fan.Not to mention the ram sinks for the iceberq look a hell of a lot better also.

OK, I thought you had the same card as me, meaning you had a Gainward FX5900. This thing has a massive aluminum heatsink with two fans. I didn't know you had something different. In MY case, the iceberq would be a downgrade from the stock cooler. Sorry bout that.

-Collin-

i would just leave the stock hsf on it unless you are going to oc, and if that is the case just be creative!

Back